Aparicio Homers Twice in 'Dads Win
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads offense swatted the Greensboro Grasshoppers for 10 runs as they took Saturday night's series opener 10-7.
Curtis Terry got the scoring started with a two-run homerun in the first inning. The homerun was Terry's 10th of the season and brought his RBI total to 37.
The 'Dads added on another run in the bottom of the third as Miguel Aparicio hit an inside the park homerun to right-center. Aparicio also homered and collected 5 RBIs in last night's game.
The Grasshoppers cut into the lead in the fourth, scoring a pair of runs.
In the bottom half of the inning, the 'Dads responded with four runs to take a 7-2 lead. Matt Whatley and Frainyer Chavez singled to start off the inning. Tyler Depreta-Johnson doubled to bring in the runners. Depreta-Johnson came in to score on a wild pitch. Miguel Aparicio capped off the inning's scoring with a homer to right.
The Crawdads added on two more runs in the fifth. Pedro Gonzalez singled and stole his fifth base of the season. Whatley poked a single to right to drive in Gonzalez. Whatley came home on a single to center by Chavez.
Greensboro got the runs back in the sixth to bring the score to 9-4.
The Crawdads pushed their lead back to five with a two-out rally in the seventh. Gonzalez hit his second single of the night to set the stage for Whatley. Whatley delivered a double for his fourth hit of the night.
The Grasshoppers scored three in the eighth to close the gap to three runs but the 'Dads held them off to secure a 10-7 victory.
The series continues tomorrow afternoon as the Crawdads and Grasshoppers face off at 3pm. America's ballpark prankster BirdZerk! will be in attendance thanks to Big Dawg 92.1 to entertain fans with his hijinks and ballpark antics. It is also Church Bulletin Sunday and fans can bring church bulletins to receive a discounted $6 ticket. The Crawdads will then donate $4 back to that bulletin's respective church.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 25, 2019
- Greenville Wins Both Games of Doubleheader - Augusta GreenJackets
- Aparicio Homers Twice in 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Bats Flatline in 4-0 Loss to 'Birds - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Birds One-Hit Suns, Win Fourth Straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Goes Seven Strong in Win over Fireflies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rome wins game on error in the 9th inning - Rome Braves
- Vientos Stretches Hit Streak to 11 on Saturday in Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Inman Pair of Homers Lift Power to 4 1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Mistakes Once Again Cost Tourists in Close Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 25 at Charleston (Game 49) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Florentino, Moritz Activated - Rome Braves
- Game Notes (May 25) - West Virginia Power
- Rome Slams Augusta 9-4 in Series Finale - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.