Anders Stops 'Tips in Shootout
EVERETT, Wash. - Red Deer goaltender Ethan Anders finished with 38 saves as the Red Deer Rebels defeated the Everett Silvertips, 2-1 in a shootout, before 3,665 fans at A.O.T.W. Arena on Thursday night in WHL action.
Silvertips forward Robbie Holmes potted his first goal as a Silvertip, his 10th goal on the season while Dustin Wolf finished 38 saves, his 29th career game of allowing one goal or less in regulation. Despite the shootout loss, the Tips gain a point and move to 79 points on the season, the second most in the WHL.
"After the first period, I thought we kind of sat back after Holmes' goal there," Head Coach Dennis Williams said. "We were fortunate enough to get a point, Wolf bailed us out there tonight.
UP NEXT: The Tips hit the road tomorrow for a stretch of four games in five days, starting off in Kelowna on Feb. 15, at 7:05, then Seattle on Feb. 16, at 7:05, followed by back-to-back games in Price George on Feb. 18 and 19. (1380 AM / 95.3 FM / TuneIn App / WHL Live). The Tips return home Friday, Feb. 22, at 7:35 for a battle against Seattle. Tickets are available at www.everettsilvertips.com/tickets.
The scoreless first period was packed with 11 penalties between both teams, as both power play units fell short in all of their respective man-advantages. Going into tonight's game, Everett's penalty kill was ranked third in the WHL, with an 84.3 percent success rate, while the Tips' power play unit was ranked eight in the league, converting on 22.5 percent of the opportunities.
The Silvertips managed to land 13 shots on Anders, while Wolf turned away nine-of-nine shots.
Everett took an early second period lead, 1-0, at 1:40 as Holmes deposited his first goal as a Silvertip. Holmes picked up a loose puck below the left circle line and angled a quick wrist shot top-shelf. Silvertips forwards Max Patterson and Martin Fasko-Rudas were responsible for getting the puck in the zone and both picked up assists on the play.
Holmes committed a high-stick at 5:51, which resulted in a four-minute penalty, where Wolf made a stream of huge saves to kill off the penalty. Each team split 23 shots on net after two periods of play.
The Rebels tied the game, 1-1, at 11:26 in the third where Brandon Hagel netted a breakaway goal, fed from winger Cameron Hausinger and defenseman Jacob Herauf.
At the end of regulation, the Silvertips finished 37 shots on goal and tacked one more on during overtime. Wolf entered overtime with 36 saves, and turned away the four shots he was faced in overtime to send the game into a shootout.
It took until round four of the shootout for a goal to be scored. Everett defenseman Jake Christiansen tucked a backhanded deke, five-hole past Anders followed by Jeff de Wit sneaking one past Wolf. Alexander Alexeyev snuck a fifth round goal through Wolf's five hole and Anders stopped Max Patterson to end the game.
1. Ethan Anders
2. Dustin Wolf
3. Robbie Holmes
SILVERTIPS LINE COMBOS
20 / ANDRUSIAK 43 / DEWAR 19 / KINDOPP
39 / GONCALVES 26 / VITELLI 17 / BEREZOWSKI
90 / HOLMES 12 / PATTERSON 7 / FASKO-RUDAS
22 / GURNEY 28 / MITCHELL
86 / KHAIRA 4 / WALKER
24 / FAIRBROTHER 29 / WYLIE
23 / CHRISTIANSEN 5 / MINULIN
8 / SEELEY
32 / WOLF
31 / PALAGA
NOTES: Silvertips scratches included Dawson Butt, Riley Sutter and Conrad Mitchell ... Everett entered the week ranked #7 in the CHL Top-10 rankings ... they have resided in the Top-10 for the last 12 weeks ... Tonight's game was the first and only meeting of the regular season between Everett and Red Deer ... 16th meeting of all time (11-5-0-1) ... The Tips went 4-1-0-1 against teams from the Central Division ... Everett has won five of their last seven games.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Tigers Drop 3-1 Decision to Hitmen - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Stankowski Stops Tigers - Calgary Hitmen
- Raiders Get Point In OT Loss To Wheat Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Paddock Shuts out Edmonton, 4-0 - Regina Pats
- Team Alberta U16 Announces Americans Prospect Marc Lajoie to Leadership Group for 2019 Canada Winter Games - Tri-City Americans
- Game 56 at Calgary - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Game Preview: Red Hot Blades Bid Farewell to Cranbrook Tonight - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Host Blades on Friday Night - Kootenay Ice
- Wheat Kings in Tough this Weekend - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Friday, February 15 vs. Medicine Hat - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Return to Home Ice against Edmonton Friday - Regina Pats
- Anders Stops 'Tips in Shootout - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Knock off Western Conference Leading Silvertips in Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Gut Scores Game-Winner again for Tips
- Wolf Stops, Kindopp Pots Pair in 3-1 Victory
- One Lucky Fan Wins Free Chick-Fil-A this Saturday, Tips Host Hockey Happy Hour Friday
- Fonstad Rallies Silvertips to Win over Brandon
- Tips F Cole Fonstad, D Olen Zellweger Named to National Events for Canada, Team WHL