Americans Slip Past IceRays 2-1
Nino Musitelli's first goal of the season was the difference in a 2-1 victory for the Allen Americans over the Corpus Chrisit IceRays at the American Bank Center on Friday night. Musitelli's shot 6:48 into the third period deflected off of IceRays defenseman Chris Mei's stick and into the net to break a 1-1 tie and lead the Americans to their third straight win. The IceRays loss snapped a two-game winning streak and dropped their record to 5-6-2 on the year. The IceRays and the Americans will now shift scenes for a Saturday night rematch in the Allen Event Center. Fans can listen to the game beginning at 7:15 on ESPN 1230am. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The IceRays scored on their first shot of the game when Ryan Garbutt went coast to coast shorthanded and beat Charlie Effinger from the high slot at 3:26 to make it 1-0. The Americans answered when Liam Huculak scored on a backhand from the bottom of the slot on a power play at 11:11. The teams went to the dressing rooms after one tied 1-1 with the Americans outshooting the IceRays 11-4.
Neither team scored in the second period as the speed and intensity of the game elevated. The IceRays outshot the Americans 17-13 in the period and the teams went to the third tied 1-1.
Musitelli broke the tie at 6:48 of the third period when he broke into the offensive zone, and his shot from the right circle deflected off Mei's stick and through the legs of IceRays netminder Kevin Nastiuk. The IceRays threw everything they could at the Americans net, but Charlie Effinger stood his ground and preserved the 2-1 win for Allen.
Kevin Nastiuk (1-1) made 31 saves on 33 shots taking his first loss in an IceRays sweater. Charlie Effinger (4-2) earned the win stopping 31 of 32 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-5 and the Americans went 1-4. The IceRays outshot the Americans 33-32 in the game.
The IceRays and Americans will rematch Saturday Night in the first ever home game for Allen. The game will air on 1150AM KCCT beginning with the pre-game show at 7:10pm. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 20, 2009
- Effinger stands tall in Americans' 2-1 win over Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- Mavs Lose Tight Game to Oilers, 5-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks Top Laredo in Shootout, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Win Streak Snapped In Shootout Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Power Way Through Tight Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas lose to Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded 'Bugs Best Mississippi in Overtime - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Swept By Bugs In Home Return - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans Slip Past IceRays 2-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Sundogs Drop Third Straight Road Contest, 3-2 - Arizona Sundogs
- Physical Effort Leads Thunder Past Sundogs - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Make A Pair Of Roster Moves - Arizona Sundogs
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- Rookie Willemsen Leads Americans To 4-2 Victory With First Professional Goal, Hat Trick - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale