Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner Named to Associated Press All-WNBA Second Team
UNCASVILLE, CT. - In an announcement made today by the Associated Press, it was released that Connecticut Sun's Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner have been named to the 2020 AP All-WNBA Second Team.
Thomas receives the first AP honor of her professional career while Bonner tallies her second all-second team honor after her first in 2019. In 2018, Bonner was also dubbed the Comeback Player of the Year after taking the prior season off during a pregnancy with her twin daughters.
During the 2020 regular season, Thomas averaged 15.5 points per game, 9.0 rebounds per game and 4.8 assists per game and a league best 2.0 steals per game. The Maryland graduate has seen herself in the top five in the league in points per game, rebounds per game and assists per game. Thomas was also named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for her performance during the week of Aug. 24-30.
In her first season with the Sun, Bonner averaged 19.7 points per game, 7.8 rebounds per game, 3.0 assists per game and 1.7 steals per game. She led the league in scoring on four different occasions this season. Bonner received two Eastern Conference Player of the Week awards following her performances during the weeks of Aug. 10-16 and Aug. 31 to Sept 6.
Together, Thomas and Bonner averaged 35.2 points per game making them the third highest scoring combo in the league. Behind Arike Ogunbowale and Satou Sabally and Diana Taurasi and Skylar Diggins-Smith.
The No. 7 Connecticut Sun play their first-round single elimination playoff game tonight against the No. 6 Chicago Sky at 7pm ET on ESPN2.
Complete list of AP Awards:
Player of Year: A'ja Wilson
Coach of Year: Cheryl Reeve
Defensive Player of Year: Candace Parker
Sixth Woman of Year: Dearica Hamby
Most Improved Player: Betnijah Laney
Rookie of Year: Crystal Dangerfield
Comeback Player: Breanna Stewart
AP first and second team all WNBA:
First Team: A'ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Candace Parker, Courtney Vandersloot, Arike Ogunbowale
Second Team: DeWanna Bonner, Napheesa Collier, Diana Taurasi, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Alyssa Thomas
AP All rookie team: Crystal Dangerfield, Satou Sabally, Julie Allemand, Chennedy Carter, Jazmine Jones
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 15, 2020
- Minnesota Lynx Guard Crystal Dangerfield Named WNBA Rookie of the Month - Minnesota Lynx
- Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner Named to Associated Press All-WNBA Second Team - Connecticut Sun
- Julie Allemand Named to Associated Press All-Rookie Team - Indiana Fever
- New York Liberty to Celebrate Inaugural Hispanic Heritage Month Presented by HSS - New York Liberty
- WNBA Announces Officials for 2020 Playoffs - WNBA
- Vandersloot Officially First Player in WNBA History to Average 10.0 APG in Season - Chicago Sky
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Connecticut Sun Stories
- Connecticut Sun Announces Partnership with Battlecon Basketball
- 2021 WNBA MVP Jonquel Jones Named to All-WNBA First Team
- Connecticut Sun 2021 Year in Review
- Connecticut Sun and Jordan's Furniture Present "Basketball for FreeÃ¢ÂÂ Clinics
- Connecticut Sun Eliminated by Chicago