AirHogs Ground the Canaries in Doubleheader, Series Sweep
Sioux Falls- Because of a postponed game Wednesday night, the Grand Prairie AirHogs and Sioux Falls Canaries played two Thursday night at Sioux Falls Stadium with the AirHogs taking both 7-6, and 4-0. With the two wins Thursday the AirHogs have swept the three-game series with the Canaries.
Game one relied on the bats needing all seven runs to edge out the Canaries. The fifth inning proved to be the most important. With two outs Kenny Held reached first on an error that would have ended the inning. The next batter was Ryan Pineda who hit his fourth home run of the year which scored three runs. The third run on the home run was the seventh run for the Hogs. Including the homer Pineda had two other hits making him 3-for-3 in the first game. Juan Richardson went 1-for-2 and scored twice. Brandon Pinkcney got an RBI on one of his two hits.
In Game one Josh Strawn went five innings allowing five runs. His season ERA is at 2.68 after the outing. Strawn also struck out two Canaries. Justin Dowdy gave up the only other run and only allowed one hit. Patrick Mincey got his eighth save for the season. Mincey struck out one batter and allowed only one hit.
Game two featured the long ball for the AirHogs. Pineda had another, his fifth, solo home run. Angel Flores connected for a three-run homer in the second inning. This was his fourth. Pineda went 2-for-2 in this game making him 5-for-5 over the doubleheader. Flores was 1-for-3 with his home run.
Pitching the entire seven innings in Game two was Jared Mortensen. Mortensen gave up three hits over the seven innings and struck out four. As far as runs were concerned Mortensen was perfect giving up no runs.
The Grand Prairie AirHogs are headed back home for a three-game weekend series against the Newark Bears. The Bears are from the Can-Am league. The first game will start Friday night at 7:05 P.M.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 28, 2013
- American Association Results - AA
- Wingnuts Take Down Sioux City - Wichita Wingnuts
- Birds hit three home runs but lose sixth straight - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Errors Costly as KC Losing Skid Hits Five - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Lose Opener to Newark - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Cure Road Woes with 10-6 Win over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Brachold, RedHawks Defeat T-Bones 5-2 to Extend Winning Streak - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wichita Defeats Explorers 13-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- RailCats and Goldeyes Washed Out - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Get Swept Against Amarillo, 4-0 - El Paso Diablos
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 28th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Update - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Ground the Canaries in Doubleheader, Series Sweep - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Fish Jump on Xs Early, Take Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Epic comeback in longest home game of the year - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- American Association Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs