Agozzino Nets Hatrick, Francouz Stops All 29 Shots in Eagles 6-0 Win over Rampage
LOVELAND, CO. - Colorado forward Andrew Agozzino netted a hat trick as part of a four-point night, while Pavel Francouz made 29 saves for his second shutout of the season as the Eagles defeated the San Antonio Rampage 6-0 on Wednesday. The two teams combined for 95 penalty minutes in a game that was punctuated with a fight-filled third period.
After a scoreless first period that saw the Eagles outshoot the Rampage 12-8, Colorado would erupt for three goals in the second frame. The onslaught started when Agozzino finished off a 2-on-1 rush with a wrist shot from the right-wing circle that would light the lamp and give the Eagles a 1-0 edge at the 7:02 mark of the period.
Colorado would earn a power-play late in the second stanza and they would make it count when defenseman David Warsofsky stepped into a slapshot from the top of the left circle that would beat Rampage goalie Ville Husso and extend Colorado's advantage to 2-0 with 3:47 remaining in the period.
As time ticked down toward the second intermission, Agozzino would fly down the left wing and unfurl a wrister from the boards that would extend the Eagles lead to 3-0 with only 1:06 left to play in the middle frame.
Colorado would keep its foot on the gas in the third period, as forward A.J. Greer would stuff home a rebound in the crease to increase the Eagles advantage to 4-0 at the 9:07 mark of the period. Minutes later, Colorado would capitalize again on the power play when Agozzino snagged a rebound in the right circle and blistered a shot into the net to cap-off his hat trick and give the Eagles a 5-0 lead with 4:56 remaining in regulation.
The scoring would come to its finale less than a minute later when Dominic Toninato collected a centering pass on the rush from Greer and snapped the puck past Husso to make it 6-0 Colorado.
Things would come unwound late in the contest after a series of hits and fights in the Rampage zone. After Husso began shoving with an Eagles skater near the boards, Francouz would race down the ice and send Husso tumbling to the surface.
Colorado finished the night going 2-for-6 on the power play and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they host the Tucson Roadrunners at the Budweiser Events Center on Saturday, March 2nd at 7:05pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2019
- Monsters Shocked by Rocket on Home Ice, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals to Host Salute to Referees Night March 5th - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Martin Ouellette, Loan Forward Troy Bourke to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks, Amtrak Announce Details of 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion - Rochester Americans
- Alex Krushelnyski Traded to Binghamton Devils - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Binghamton Devils Acquire Forward Alex Krushelnyski - Binghamton Devils
- Kings Recall Matt Luff from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Acquire Dustin Tokarski on Loan from Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Irish Night Set for Friday, March 8 against Bridgeport - Rochester Americans
- Comets Reassign Kulbakov, Release Linhart - Utica Comets
- Batherson Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rangers Recall Libor Hajek from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Debut Brand-New Website Design - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blake Siebenaler Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Recall O'Regan - Rochester Americans
- Eagles Silence Rampage to Close Road Trip - San Antonio Rampage
- Agozzino Nets Hatrick, Francouz Stops All 29 Shots in Eagles 6-0 Win over Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Comeback Falls Short in Texas - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.