Admirals Comeback Falls Short in Texas
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars netted three in the first period, and despite goals from Yakov Trenin and Adam Helewka, the Milwaukee Admirals fell 3-2 to the Stars on Wednesday night at H-E-B Center.
Brad McClure scored twice in the first, as the Stars rumbled to a 3-0 lead before the 10 minute mark in a matchup of teams tied for 58 points in the Central Division, and in fifth (Stars) and sixth place (Admirals).
Michael Mersch scored on the game's first shift, just 35 seconds in, to give the Stars a 1-0 lead, before McClure's first goal came less than three minutes later. McClure buried a power play chance at the 9:16 for the league's second-rated power play unit.
Trenin (11th) cut into the three-goal deficit in the second when he and Joe Pendenza had a 2-on-1 break. Pendenza took the initial shot, saved by Stars netminder Landon Bow, but Trenin volleyed in the rebound to get the Admirals on the board at 4:53 of the period.
Helewka (17th) snapped a long string of unsuccessful power plays for the Admirals at the 4:17 mark of the third, off good puck movement set up by Colin Blackwell and Anthony Richard. Milwaukee had not scored a power play goal since Feb. 2. It was Helewka's fourth goal in eight games since joining the Admirals from Tucson.
Erik Condra added an empty-netter for the Stars with 31 seconds left.
Milwaukee outshot Texas 25-24, despite being outshot 11-5 in the opening period.
The Admirals continue their Texas trip on Friday night at San Antonio. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. CT in the first of two games between the Stars and Rampage.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2019
- Monsters Shocked by Rocket on Home Ice, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals to Host Salute to Referees Night March 5th - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Martin Ouellette, Loan Forward Troy Bourke to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks, Amtrak Announce Details of 'Ride the Rails up to the Show' Promotion - Rochester Americans
- Alex Krushelnyski Traded to Binghamton Devils - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Binghamton Devils Acquire Forward Alex Krushelnyski - Binghamton Devils
- Kings Recall Matt Luff from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Acquire Dustin Tokarski on Loan from Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Irish Night Set for Friday, March 8 against Bridgeport - Rochester Americans
- Comets Reassign Kulbakov, Release Linhart - Utica Comets
- Batherson Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rangers Recall Libor Hajek from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Debut Brand-New Website Design - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blake Siebenaler Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Recall O'Regan - Rochester Americans
- Eagles Silence Rampage to Close Road Trip - San Antonio Rampage
- Agozzino Nets Hatrick, Francouz Stops All 29 Shots in Eagles 6-0 Win over Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Comeback Falls Short in Texas - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.