Academy Update: May 2023 Players of the Month
As we wrap up an action-packed month of May for the Inter Miami CF Academy presented by Baptist Health, we are excited to present to you three young rising stars who have shined in the past month for their hard work and dedication.
Let's kick off the Players of the Month selections with our youngest age bracket, with U-13 right back Derek Delgado getting selected as May's Player of the Month.
"Derek has been a consistent performer throughout the entire 2022-2023 season," claimed U-13 team Academy head coach Gibran Tevar. "His contributions from right back have surpassed the expectations of being a shutdown defender to being a contributor in possession through the build phase, and servicing assists and goals through the create & finish phase."
Now from our Academy's mid-level age groups, it was U-15 defensive midfielder Alexander Shaw who stood out as Player of the Month for the month of May.
"Alex has grown tremendously throughout the season being one of the captains of the 2008 age group as he leads by example on and off the field. He's a team player that is highly focused on his development and has learned to play the defensive midfielder position this season after previously playing as a right back," stated U-15 team Academy head coach Pedro Cavalcanti. "Alex excelled in his performances in the MLS Flex tournament in Maryland, starting every game and scoring the winning goal against Seattle Sounders. He has an exciting future and truly embodies the Inter Miami identity."
Lastly, U-17 midfielder Santiago Morales, who is currently representing the Club on the international level after being called up by the U.S. U-16 Men's Youth National Team to compete in the 2023 International Dream Cu in Japan, takes the nod as Player of the Month in our eldest age bracket.
"I'm extremely proud of Santiago's performances as he impacts every game by demonstrating his creativity on the ball and his ability to finish the attack in different situations" preached U-17 team Academy head coach Ihor Dotsenko. "In the game against Orlando City early in the month, he played a fantastic through pass inside the penalty box that led to the game tying penalty kick. In the next game against Vancouver Whitecaps, he scored a game winning goal from an excellent one touch finish and in the game against Chicago Fire, he scored two more goals and finished the month with a goal against BW Gottschee. Santiago has been recently called up to join the U-16 USA Men's Youth National Team for a tournament in Japan and I'm confident he'll make everyone at Inter Miami proud of his performance there."
For additional coverage of our teams, you can follow our Academy's journey online via Twitter @InterMiamiAcad and Instagram @InterMiamiCFAcademy!
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 3, 2023
- Minnesota United Score Late Equalizer Against Toronto FC, Earn 1-1 Draw - Minnesota United FC
- St. Louis CITY SC Defeats Houston Dynamo 3-0; Extends Win Streak to Three - St. Louis City SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends League Unbeaten Streak to Eight Matches with 2-1 Road Victory Against FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- 10-Man Inter Miami CF Falls to D.C. United - Inter Miami CF
- Acosta's Late Game-Winner Gives FC Cincinnati 1-0 Win Over Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to St. Louis CITY SC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Orlando City SC Completes Season Sweep Over New York Red Bulls with 3-0 Victory - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Blanks CF Montréal 3-0 - Philadelphia Union
- Charlotte FC's 4-Match Road Stretch Ends with 4-2 Loss Against the Columbus Crew - Charlotte FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 1-0 to FC Cincinnati at TQL Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Plays to Scoreless Draw Saturday Afternoon with Portland Timbers - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers, Seattle Sounders FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Cascadia Clash at Lumen Field - Portland Timbers
- New England Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line Tomorrow as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- NYCFC Fights for Point vs. New England Revolution - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Defender Charlie Ostrem to Short-Term Agreement - Chicago Fire FC
- Academy Update: May 2023 Players of the Month - Inter Miami CF
- Kai Williamson Called up for Jamaica U-15 National Team Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Hosts Rival Portland Timbers Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Free Jacks Defeat Rugby ATL 35-14 - Atlanta United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Loans Defender Laurence Wyke to the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the USL Championship - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Champion of Inter Miami CF's Third Annual Battle of the Artists Presented by Heineken Announced
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Hong Kong During the Club's First-Ever International Tour for 2024 Preseason
- Fútbol Icons Feature at DRV PNK Stadium in Leyendas CONMEBOL Match
- Facundo Farías Called up by Argentina U-23 National Team
- Rosters Announced for Colombia and Venezuela Friendly at DRV PNK Stadium