7 Steelheads Prospects Named to OHL Gold Cup Rosters
The 2019 OHL Gold Cup will feature 127 players selected from this year's OHL Priority Selection Draft. The annual showcase gives top young talent across Ontario the opportunity to develop through the Hockey Canada Program of Excellence and subsequently be evaluated to earn an invitation to the National Under-17 development camp.
"The Ontario Hockey League is proud of our partnership with the Ontario Hockey Federation and Hockey Canada that extends to great events like the OHL Gold Cup which provides players with another unique development opportunity," said Joe Birch, OHL Senior Director of Player Development and Special Events. "Some of the very best players from across Ontario, including future OHL stars and members of Canada's National Under-17 Teams, will be showcasing their abilities in May. It will be exciting to see how the action unfolds and which players are able to seize the moment."
OHL Gold Cup players will receive development opportunities and training directly from Hockey Canada instructors. Throughout the week players will participate in three off-ice education sessions, dedicated position-specific practices and a full-team game-day skate.
The Mississauga Steelheads will have seven of their draft picks from this year's OHL Priority Selection representing their minor hockey associations.
Ethan Del Mastro (D) GTHL Blue 2019 1st Round, 12th overall
Luca Del Bel Belluz (F) GTHL Red 2019 3rd Round, 51st overall
Chas Sharpe (D) OMHA White 2019 3rd Round, 60th overall
Josh Reid (F) HEO 2019 3rd Round, 61st overall
Adam O'Marra (F) OMHA Black 2019 6th Round, 114th overall
Justin DiLauro (G) OMHA Black 2019 7th Round, 141st overall
Sean Mateer (F) OMHA Black 2019 14th Round, 274th overall
Featured Notes for OHL Gold Cup
127 OHL Gold Cup players were selected in the OHL Priority Selection Draft
Of those 127 players, 21 were from the first round
Top minor hockey teams represented: Thunder Bay Minor Midget AAA Kings (16), Sudbury Wolves Minor Midget AAA (13), Toronto Marlboros (9) and the Toronto Red Wings (9)
OHL prospects on the Gold Cup Rosters: Ottawa (11), Kingston (10), North Bay (9), Sudbury/Peterborough/Owen Sound/Hamilton (8), Barrie/London/Mississauga (7), Sarnia/Niagara (6), Flint/Kitchener (5), Erie/Guelph/Oshawa/Saginaw/Soo (4), Windsor (3)
32 players from the 2018 OHL Gold Cup were selected to represent Canada at the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
The event will be held from May 2- May 5 at Activa Sportsplex in Kitchener, Ontario.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2019
- Spirit Seize Series Lead in Western Conference Finals - Saginaw Spirit
- 67's Storm Back to Beat Generals 6-4, Take 1-0 Series Lead - Ottawa 67's
- Roadrunners Sign Howdeshell to One-Year Contract - Soo Greyhounds
- Eastern Conference Championship Series Preview - Oshawa Generals
- Steelheads Announce 2019 Prospect Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- Goaltender Aidan Campbell Commits to Otters - Erie Otters
- Western Conference Final Preview: Spirit, Storm Begin Battle for Wayne Gretzky Trophy in Saginaw - Saginaw Spirit
- Post Season Preview Eastern Conference Finals: Gens vs. 67's - Oshawa Generals
- 8 Attack Picks Selected to OHL Gold Cup - Owen Sound Attack
- Drysdale Among 7 OHL Players to Represent Canada at World U18 Hockey Championship - Erie Otters
- London Knights Set Mini-Development Camp - London Knights
- Rangers Announced as One of the 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series Hosts - Kitchener Rangers
- 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series Hosts Announced - OHL
- Storm's Nick Suzuki Named CHL Player of the Week - Guelph Storm
- Western Conference Championship Series Preview - #SAGvsGUE - Guelph Storm
- Jamieson Rees to Represent Canada at World U18 Hockey Championship - Sarnia Sting
- 7 Steelheads Prospects Named to OHL Gold Cup Rosters - Mississauga Steelheads
- Western Conference Finals - Game 1 Preview: Guelph Storm at Saginaw Spirit - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- OHL Announces Postponed Game Between Mississauga and Owen Sound
- Back in the Win Column
- Steelheads Can't Slow Red Hot Firebirds
- Weekend Preview - Coming in Hot
- Mississauga Steelheads to Host Mental Health Awareness Game in Partnership with CMHA Peel Dufferin, Presented by Teachers Life