2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw to Take Place December 9
ATLANTA - The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) will hold the official draw of the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Monday, Dec. 9 at 9 p.m. ET from the University of the Cloister of Sor Juana in Mexico City, Mexico. Atlanta United will learn its bracket position during the draw as the club will compete in the international tournament for the second consecutive season. Atlanta earned its berth in the tournament by winning the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Fans will be able to follow the action through the Confederation's partner networks, including TUDN (United States), Fox Sports Latin America (Mexico & Central America), ESPN (Central America), TSN (Canada), Flow Sports (Caribbean) and other local partners. For other territories, the event will be available on Concacaf GO (subject to territory restrictions).
The 16 clubs that have qualified for the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League are (in alphabetical order by country): Montreal Impact (CAN), AD San Carlos (CRC), Deportivo Saprissa (CRC), Alianza FC (SLV), Comunicaciones FC (GUA), CD Olimpia (HON), FC Motagua (HON), Portmore United FC (JAM), Club America (MEX), Club Leon (MEX), Cruz Azul FC (MEX), Tigres UANL (MEX), Atlanta United FC (USA), Los Angeles FC (USA), New York City FC (USA) and Seattle Sounders FC (USA).
More information on how clubs qualify for the tournament is available here.
The official draw will be executed using a double-blind system and four pots. Pots 1 and 2 will contain the names of the 16 participating clubs, while Pots A and B will contain the sixteen possible bracket positions for the first round of the competition.
Based on the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Ranking, which ranks clubs based on the performance of the countries over the last five seasons of play in the competition, the clubs will be distributed evenly in two pots as follows (in alphabetical order by country):
Pot 1: Montreal Impact (CAN), Club America (MEX), Cruz Azul FC (MEX), Tigres UANL (MEX), Atlanta United FC (USA), Los Angeles FC (USA), New York City FC (USA) and Seattle Sounders FC (USA).
Pot 2: AD San Carlos (CRC), Deportivo Saprissa (CRC), Alianza FC (SLV), Comunicaciones FC (GUA), CD Olimpia (HON), FC Motagua (HON), Portmore United FC (JAM) and Club Leon (MEX).
More information on the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Ranking is available here.
The 16 possible bracket positions will be divided evenly into two pots as follows:
Pot A: A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7 and A8
Pot B: B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7 and B8
The draw will begin by randomly selecting a club from Pot 1, followed by a bracket position from Pot A. The same process will apply for the remaining seven clubs in Pot 1, always using the positions in Pot A. Once the first eight teams have been confirmed, the Pot 2 clubs will be drawn using the same procedure for the bracket positions with Pot B.
At the end of the draw, each round of 16 pairing will feature one team from each pot. Additionally, as per the competition regulations, clubs from the same country will not face each other in the round of 16.
For the round of 16, the clubs drawn from Pot 1 will host the return matches, while the winners of matchups 1, 3, 5 and 7 will host the return leg quarterfinals. For the semifinals and finals, the competition bracket will determine the matchups and the club's will be ranked as per the competition regulations to determine which clubs will host the return leg matches.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 6, 2019
- D.C. United Announce eSports Signing, Mohamed "KingCJ0" Alioune Diop - D.C. United
- Goalkeeper Clement Diop Signs New Contract with the Impact - Club de Foot Montreal
- Marvin Loria Named to Costa Rica U-23 Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Signs McKinney's Ihab "i9ibbs" Abualneel as Club's Official eMLS Athlete - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Michael Amir Murillo to RSC Anderlecht - New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sign Exraa as 2020 eSports Gamer - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw to Take Place December 9 - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Enrique Espinoza as eSports Player for 2020 eMLS Season - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United announces Gabriel Heinze's technical staff
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Esports Athlete Paulo Neto for 2021
- George Bello, Miles Robinson Called into Final U-23 USMNT Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifying
- Atlanta United Season Ticket Members to Receive Complimentary Access to RedTV International Platform
- Atlanta United Signs Free Agent Defender Mikey Ambrose