Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sign Exraa as 2020 eSports Gamer
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday that the club has signed Alex Gonzalez (Exraa) as the 'Caps official eSports gamer, set to compete in the 2020 eMLS season.
Stay tuned for details on upcoming 2020 Whitecaps FC FIFA eSports events presented by Alpha North Esports & Entertainment, as the club seeks out the best FIFA gamers in Canada.
Gonzalez grew up in Guadalajara, Mexico. At age 12 he moved to Vancouver, British Columbia before later landing in Regina, Saskatchewan. As a soccer player with FC Regina, he spent time playing in the Whitecaps FC BMO Saskatchewan Academy Centre.
"This is a dream come true for me," said Gonzalez. "I followed eMLS over the past year and I thought that it would be a very cool opportunity to compete in this league. I have been a part of this club in the past as a player in the Saskatchewan Academy, and now I'm really excited to sign as a gamer. I think that I can be a contender for eMLS Cup and I'm looking forward to representing Vancouver, my home province, and the entire 'Caps nation."
During his first competitive season this past year, Exraa finished the FIFA 19 Global Series as the second highest ranked Canadian player, and the fourth highest ranked in North America. The 18-year-old was one of 32 players in the world and only two North American players to make it through regional qualifying to the Gfinity Series in London, where he took home fifth place. Earlier in the year he finished ninth on his debut at the FUT Champions Cup in Atlanta.
The 2020 eMLS season will feature three events as part of the League Series presented by Playstation.
League Series One - Philadelphia - January 10
League Series Two - Portland - February 15
eMLS Cup - Austin - March 21 The two League Series tournaments will also allow eMLS players to accumulate points to determine seeding for eMLS Cup. Fans will be able to watch all three tournaments on MLSsoccer.com, as well as on Twitch and Twitter.
As eMLS is an Official League Partner of the EA SPORTS FIFA 20 Global Series, the eMLS Cup winner will receive 850 Global Series points, supporting their qualification for the Global Series Playoffs and ultimately FIFA eWorld Cup, where the winner will be crowned the undisputed FIFA 20 World Champion.
Gaming name: Exraa (pronounced x-ray)
Birthdate: June 17, 2001
Hometown: Regina, Saskatchewan
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 6, 2019
- D.C. United Announce eSports Signing, Mohamed "KingCJ0" Alioune Diop - D.C. United
- Goalkeeper Clement Diop Signs New Contract with the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Marvin Loria Named to Costa Rica U-23 Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Signs McKinney's Ihab "i9ibbs" Abualneel as Club's Official eMLS Athlete - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Michael Amir Murillo to RSC Anderlecht - New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Sign Exraa as 2020 eSports Gamer - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw to Take Place December 9 - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Enrique Espinoza as eSports Player for 2020 eMLS Season - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Top Collegiate Recruiting Class
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance
- Winners Announced at 2020 BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- It Starts with a Goal: the Stories Behind Seven Inspiring Young Canadians in the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System