2020 Blue Rocks Season Canceled
Wilmington, DE - On the heels of Major League Baseball's (MLB) decision this past spring to suspend the Professional Baseball Agreement with Minor League Baseball, MLB has elected not to send players to its affiliated minor-league teams. As such, there will be no professional affiliated Minor League Baseball in the calendar year 2020. Therefore, the Wilmington Blue Rocks, like all other Minor League Baseball affiliates, are officially on hiatus.
On Tuesday afternoon, Minor League Baseball announced the cancellation with President Pat O'Conner commenting:
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played. While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
Though we are disappointed by MLB's decision, the Blue Rocks remain committed to continuing to work with the City of Wilmington, New Castle County, and State of Delaware authorities to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of all citizens during the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic. In compliance with protocols determined by state and local health authorities, the Blue Rocks look forward to developing opportunities to bring joy and excitement to Frawley Stadium at the appropriate time later this summer. Moreover, we look forward to delivering our unique version of affordable, fun, family-friendly entertainment in 2021 and beyond.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 30, 2020
- 2020 Blue Rocks Season Canceled - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wilmington Blue Rocks 2020 Season Cancellation FAQs - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Woodpeckers 2020 Season Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Pandemic - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- WS Dash Announce Cancellation of 2020 Season - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats 2020 Season Officially Canceled - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- 2020 Salem Red Sox Season Officially Cancelled - Salem Red Sox
- 2020 MiLB Season Shelved - Frederick Keys
- Fredericksburg Nationals to Host FredNats 4th of July Spectacular - Fredericksburg Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilmington Blue Rocks Stories
- Blue Rocks Well-Represented in 2020 MLB Postseason
- Blue Rocks a Finalist for Minor League Baseball Award
- Movie Nights Make Their Return to Frawley Stadium
- Frawley Stadium to Host Outdoor Summer Movie Series
- Blue Rocks and Blue Coats Joint Campaign Raises $6,500