Hillcats 2020 Season Officially Canceled
Lynchburg, Virginia - Minor League Baseball announced this afternoon that the 2020 baseball season, including that of the Lynchburg Hillcats, has been officially canceled due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic.
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said MiLB President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
"The Hillcats are extremely disappointed to not play baseball and provide our community with the tremendous experiences we had planned for 2020," said Hillcats President and General Manager Chris Jones. "We would like to graciously thank our corporate sponsors, season seat members, fans, and the city of Lynchburg for the constant support. We look forward to seeing everyone back at Bank of the James Stadium in April of 2021 and we thank all those on the front lines who ensure the safety of our community."
Hillcats team members will be reaching out directly to season seat members, sponsors, and groups for additional information regarding the 2020-2021 seasons.
The Hillcats are focused on creating new and exciting events at Bank of the James Stadium during the 2020 calendar year. The front office plans on hosting more outdoor events in accordance with the guidelines set by local state and health officials. If you or your organization are interested in hosting an event at Bank of the James Stadium, please email [email protected]
For the most up-to-date information on the Hillcats, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com and follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @LynHillcats.
The Lynchburg Hillcats are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. The Hillcats are eight-time Carolina League Champions, having most recently won the Mills Cup Championship in 2017. The Hillcats play their home games at City Stadium, which has been home to Minor League Baseball in Lynchburg since 1940. Visit the Hillcats online at Lynchburg-hillcats.com, and follow the Hillcats on Twitter (@LynHillcats), Instagram (@LynHillcats) and Facebook (Lynchburg Hillcats). For more information about the Lynchburg Hillcats, please contact Maura Sheridan at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 30, 2020
- 2020 Blue Rocks Season Canceled - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wilmington Blue Rocks 2020 Season Cancellation FAQs - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Woodpeckers 2020 Season Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Pandemic - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- WS Dash Announce Cancellation of 2020 Season - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats 2020 Season Officially Canceled - Lynchburg Hillcats
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- 2020 Salem Red Sox Season Officially Cancelled - Salem Red Sox
- 2020 MiLB Season Shelved - Frederick Keys
- Fredericksburg Nationals to Host FredNats 4th of July Spectacular - Fredericksburg Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.