Underdog Gets the Win as Delaware 87ers Top the Westchester Knicks by One-Point Margin
WHITE PLAINS, NY - The Westchester Knicks (24-14), the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, dropped its second game in a row in a down-to-the-wire 96-95 loss against the Delaware 87ers (11-23), the Philadelphia 76ers' affiliate.
Knicks affiliate player Xavier Rathan-Mayes led all scorers in the game with 23 points, recording his thirteenth double- double of the season with 10 rebounds along with five each of assists and steals. Fellow Knicks affiliate Nigel Hayes supplied 17 points, eight rebounds, and five assists in the loss. Paul Watson and Billy Garrett each contributed 14 points, while Jordan Henriquez-Roberts came up with 10 from the bench. Center Adam Woodbury, making his first start of the season, grabbed 13 rebounds with five points.
James Young paced Delaware with 21 points, 11 coming from the fourth quarter alone, to go with seven rebounds. Shawn Long recorded a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds; Christian Wood providing 15 points with seven rebounds and Askia Booker knocking in 17 points with five assists. Cameron Oliver supplied 13 points from the bench, while Two- Way player Devin Robinson finished with nine points and three assists.
Westchester opened the game on a 15-6 run to take an early nine-point lead. Delaware recovered with a quick eight points to pull back within two; the Knicks ultimately holding a four-point lead after the first twelve minutes. The 87ers took charge to start the second, pulling up to a four-point lead with an 11-3 start. Not to be outdone, the Knicks went on another run of its own, going 16-4 to go back up by eight, but Delaware responded with a 9-0 run to close the quarter leading by one.
Westchester came out of the locker room hot, taking a 16-point lead by outscoring the 87ers 28-11 through the first eight and a half minutes. By the end of third, the Knicks held a 12-point lead. Delaware pulled back within three after starting the fourth on a 7-0 run - a precursor to an explosive 31-point quarter. The 87ers took back the lead with 4:47 to go, and a back-and-forth ensued as the teams traded the lead over the next eight possessions. At the end, it was a foul drawn by Westchester that gave Delaware the ultimate one-point advantage as Wood sank both of his shots.
The Knicks and 87ers will meet again this Saturday, Feb. 10 at 5:00 p.m. The game will be broadcast on MSG Networks and will be streamed live via Facebook Live
Tickets for the 2017-18 Westchester Knicks season are on sale now at Ticketmaster outlets and the Westchester County Center Box Office. Full season membership, half season pick plans, five-game pick plans, and group tickets are also available. For all ticket information, visit WestchesterKnicks.com or call (914) 559-6889. Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at @wcknicks on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat and on Facebook at facebook.com/wcknicks .
NBA G League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Warriors Forward Terrence Jones Selected For USA Basketball Training Camp - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Taylor Braun Selected to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Salt Lake City Stars
- Hustle Waive Trahson Burrell - Memphis Hustle
- Underdog Gets the Win as Delaware 87ers Top the Westchester Knicks by One-Point Margin - Westchester Knicks
- Legends Guard Kyle Collinsworth Signs with Mavericks - Texas Legends
- Stockton and Harrison Selected for USA Basketball Training Camp - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Struggle in Salt Lake City - Texas Legends
- Wolves' Rally Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Austin Spurs Win Matinee Thriller over Iowa Wolves 114-112 - Austin Spurs
- Drew II, Gee Selected to USA Basketball Training Camp Roster - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Rodney Purvis Named to Team USA - Lakeland Magic
- NBA G League USA Roster Unveiled for 2018 NBA G League International Challenge - G League
- Detroit Pistons Recall Brice Johnson from Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- McKinney Jones Invited to USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Travis Wear Chosen to Attend February USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp - South Bay Lakers
- Perrigo Partners with Grand Rapids Drive for Third Annual Jersey Takeover Game - Grand Rapids Drive