Timbers to Play Host to Wilmington Hammerheads in Third Round of U.S. Open CupMay 21, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
The U.S. Open Cup match against Wilmington is included as part of Timbers full-season ticket packages as Exhibition B. Single-game tickets, starting at $15, are available for purchase through the JELD-WEN Field box office and online at www.portlandtimbers.com.
The Hammerheads defeated the Austin Aztex of the Premier Development League 2-0 in a second-round match Tuesday evening in Austin, Texas, to advance to the third round against the Timbers.
All 16 United States-based clubs from Major League Soccer, including the Timbers, enter the 2013 U.S. Open Cup - the 100th edition of the tournament - in the third round and face the 16 remaining teams from the first two rounds of the tournament.
The 2013 U.S. Open Cup features 68 teams, marking the largest field in the modern era (1995-present). The tournament includes clubs, both professional and amateur, from across the U.S. soccer landscape; all Division I, II and III clubs affiliated with U.S. Soccer will participate in the tournament proper.
The U.S. Open Cup, a single-elimination tournament, has crowned a champion for 99 consecutive years beginning in 1914. The winning team's name is engraved on the base of the Dewar Challenge Trophy.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2013
- Chivas USA Set to Face LA Blues in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Houston Dynamo to Host FC Tucson on May 29 in Third Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Play Host to Wilmington Hammerheads in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Cudicini Stands up for the Defense - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy's Rafael Garcia Earns His Longest Ever Appearance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC to Host Des Moines Menace in U.S. Open Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL to Host NASL Atlanta Silverbacks May 28 in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union to Face Ocean City Nor'Easters in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Game on May 28 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United to Face USL PRO Affiliate Richmond Kickers in Third Round of 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open C - D.C. United
- Farfán, Happy to be Home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids to Visit Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Next Tuesday, May 28 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Begin Quest for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on the Road - Chicago Fire
- Youth Update: FC Bolts Celtic - New England Revolution
- Register For Chance to Be Equipment Manager for Training Session at RFK - D.C. United
- Dynamo and BBVA Compass Participate in Building a Better Houston Initiative - Houston Dynamo
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host Junior Achievement 5k Challenge and Fun Run on June 1 - Real Salt Lake
- Fire Announce Broadcast Information For Upcoming Matches - Chicago Fire
- Local Youth Coaches Make the Most of Revolution's Coaching Development Night - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Unveil Live Webcam at New Stadium Construction Site - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls React to MLS Expansion - New York Red Bulls
- Evans Called In to U.S. National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Set to Take On Real Salt Lake - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Add Seating For Match vs. Chivas USA - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces New Expansion Team in New York City - MLS
- Bruce Arena Speaks Plainly After Gaffe Costs Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.