Chivas USA Set to Face LA Blues in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, May 21, 2013) - Chivas USA will face Los Angeles Blues in the third round of the 100th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, May 28, at Titan Stadium on the campus of Cal State Fullerton in Fullerton, Calif. for a 7:30 p.m. (PT) kickoff. The Blues advanced to the Third Round Tuesday night in a 5-0 win over PDL side Ventura County Fusion at Titan Stadium. Chivas USA tied a franchise-best run in last season's Open Cup. The Red-and-White reached the Semifinals for the second time in club history, but fell short by losing to eventual runner-up Seattle Sounders FC in Tukwila, Wash. last July.
Similar to this year's format, Chivas USA and the other 15 Major League Soccer clubs participating in the prestigious tournament enter competition in the Third Round. The Rojiblancos know their rival well, having faced the Blues in numerous friendlies throughout the years. The Rojiblancos most recently faced the Blues in a preseason scrimmage in February that ended in a 5-1 rout for the Red-and-White. Should Chivas USA win their opening match in this Open Cup edition, it will mark the third time the club has advanced past the Third Round. The RebaÃÂ±o Angelino return to compete in this year's edition of the Open Cup with several key returning players from last season's squad that made the semifinals run, including goalkeeper and Captain Dan Kennedy, forward Jose Correa, and midfielders Jorge VillafaÃÂ±a and Laurent Courtois.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2013
- Chivas USA Set to Face LA Blues in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Houston Dynamo to Host FC Tucson on May 29 in Third Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Play Host to Wilmington Hammerheads in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Cudicini Stands up for the Defense - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy's Rafael Garcia Earns His Longest Ever Appearance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC to Host Des Moines Menace in U.S. Open Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL to Host NASL Atlanta Silverbacks May 28 in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union to Face Ocean City Nor'Easters in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Game on May 28 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United to Face USL PRO Affiliate Richmond Kickers in Third Round of 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open C - D.C. United
- Farfán, Happy to be Home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids to Visit Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Next Tuesday, May 28 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Begin Quest for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on the Road - Chicago Fire
- Youth Update: FC Bolts Celtic - New England Revolution
- Register For Chance to Be Equipment Manager for Training Session at RFK - D.C. United
- Dynamo and BBVA Compass Participate in Building a Better Houston Initiative - Houston Dynamo
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host Junior Achievement 5k Challenge and Fun Run on June 1 - Real Salt Lake
- Fire Announce Broadcast Information For Upcoming Matches - Chicago Fire
- Local Youth Coaches Make the Most of Revolution's Coaching Development Night - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Unveil Live Webcam at New Stadium Construction Site - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls React to MLS Expansion - New York Red Bulls
- Evans Called In to U.S. National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Set to Take On Real Salt Lake - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Add Seating For Match vs. Chivas USA - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces New Expansion Team in New York City - MLS
- Bruce Arena Speaks Plainly After Gaffe Costs Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.