LA Galaxy's Rafael Garcia Earns His Longest Ever Appearance
HARRISON, N.J. - It is never easy to come in as a first half substitution, particularly, one that has to come in just minutes into the match.
After spending most of the week training with your fellow substitutes as opposed to the first team,you are thrown into the mix with little time to prepare, having to gel with your teammates in the heat of a match while still attempting to get a feel for the game that you had been watching only minutes earlier from the bench. LA Galaxy midfielder Rafael Garcia had to endure all of these things once he stepped onto the field at Red Bull Arena after a right shin injured felled Juninho and forced him to an early exit.
Prior to the match, the second-year midfielder had played just 30 MLS Regular Season minutes over his year-and-a-half professional career, but by the time the final whistle blew in LA's 1-0 defeat to the New York Red Bulls, Garcia had played 80 minutes, more than doubling his career output.
"I thought I did well under the circumstances," Garcia told LAGalaxy.com. "It's never easy coming into a game like that. It probably wasn't my sharpest game, but I thought that overall, I was happy with my performance."
It wasn't always easy for Garcia as the match was a back-and-forth affair with the pace only heightened by the slick and rainy conditions at Red Bull Arena. Teamed up with Marcelo Sarvas in the middle of the park, Garcia appeared more comfortable as the game went on as he settled into a defensive midfield role after trying early on to create chances on the attack.
It was on the defensive side of the ball that Garcia had his most profound impact as he made five recoveries while completing 23 of his 30 passes on the night. The chippy nature of the match left an impression on Garcia, but not in the way that he might have liked. Garcia was forced to the sidelines late in the second half for a brief spell after an elbow to his eye from Tim Cahill created a gash that required a few quick stitches after the game.
Despite the poor result, head coach Bruce Arena admitted to being impressed with Garcia's performance.
"Solid job," Arena said of Garcia's performance. "He did a good job for his game with extended minutes."
Even Landon Donovan was left with a positive impression of Garcia's showing against the Red Bulls.
"It's tough to come into a game that early when you're not really ready. Rafa did okay," It's a tough game to come into, it's fast against two really good midfielders and he held his own pretty well. We're going to have to do that throughout the year. There's going to be guys missing, so we're going to have to have guys step in and do the job."
Garcia has steadily risen up the Galaxy depth chart since preseason and has made seven appearances across all competitions, while also being placed on the gameday roster for all 15 of LA's games this year. All that's missing now on Garcia's resume is his first start of the year, though that could change in the coming days. The extent of Juninho's injury is not immediately known meaning that Garcia could find himself in contention for a starting role this weekend against the Sounders or a few days later in LA's U.S. Open Cup Third Round tilt next week against either the Carolina Dynamo or Carolina Railhawks.
Whether or not a starting role comes or not, the industrious midfielder remains focused on solidifying his place on the Galaxy.
"Every game that you step on the field, you've got to improve," said Garcia. "[The New York match] was a learning experience for me. I've got to move forward and if the minutes keep coming then I'll be more than happy to step on the field again."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2013
- Chivas USA Set to Face LA Blues in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Houston Dynamo to Host FC Tucson on May 29 in Third Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers to Play Host to Wilmington Hammerheads in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Cudicini Stands up for the Defense - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy's Rafael Garcia Earns His Longest Ever Appearance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC to Host Des Moines Menace in U.S. Open Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL to Host NASL Atlanta Silverbacks May 28 in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union to Face Ocean City Nor'Easters in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Game on May 28 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United to Face USL PRO Affiliate Richmond Kickers in Third Round of 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open C - D.C. United
- Farfán, Happy to be Home - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids to Visit Orlando City SC in U.S. Open Cup Next Tuesday, May 28 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Begin Quest for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on the Road - Chicago Fire
- Youth Update: FC Bolts Celtic - New England Revolution
- Register For Chance to Be Equipment Manager for Training Session at RFK - D.C. United
- Dynamo and BBVA Compass Participate in Building a Better Houston Initiative - Houston Dynamo
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host Junior Achievement 5k Challenge and Fun Run on June 1 - Real Salt Lake
- Fire Announce Broadcast Information For Upcoming Matches - Chicago Fire
- Local Youth Coaches Make the Most of Revolution's Coaching Development Night - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Unveil Live Webcam at New Stadium Construction Site - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls React to MLS Expansion - New York Red Bulls
- Evans Called In to U.S. National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Set to Take On Real Salt Lake - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Add Seating For Match vs. Chivas USA - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Announces New Expansion Team in New York City - MLS
- Bruce Arena Speaks Plainly After Gaffe Costs Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Full Schedule Announced for 2018 International Champions Cup Presented by Heineken
- LA Galaxy Tops Chicago 1-0
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Ola Kamara to Three-Year Contract
- LA Galaxy to Wear Jerseys Made from Parley Ocean Plastic for April 21 Match
- StubHub Center to Host 4th Annual Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader on July 15