Pink the Rink Weekend Nets $15,582 for Breast Cancer AwarenessMarch 6, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Fort Wayne Komets
As part of the "Pink The Rink Weekend" the Komets wore a one-of-a-kind jersey in support of breast cancer awareness. The pink jerseys, trimmed in white and black, sold during a silent auction during both games with proceeds donated to the Vera Bradley Foundation.
23 Komet jerseys were sold in auction with Kaleigh Schrock's #79 attracting the highest bid for the second consecutive year at $1,200. Daniel Maggio's #9 and Brandon Marino's #13 collected the second highest bids of $900 each while Brett Smith's #41 snagged a third-best bid of $850. "The Vera Bradley Foundation and the Fort Wayne Komets wish to thank all Komet fans who helped raise over $15,000 for the Vera Bradley Foundation," Komet general manage David Franke said. "Komet fans always step up to donate to the Vera Bradley Foundation on Pink The Rink Weekend."
In addition to the pink jerseys, pink merchandise and autographed pink pucks were sold contributing to the total raised for the Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer. Additional autographed pink pucks are on sale at Komet Kuarters with proceeds continuing to be used for breast cancer awareness.
The Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer was founded by Vera Bradley co-founders Barbara Bradley Baekgaard and Patricia Miller in 1998. To date, it has contributed $17.65 million to the world renowned research team in the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center in Indianapolis. The team of researchers at the Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer Research Laboratories is making significant progress and gaining national recognition for their work in the following areas:
Detection of cancer long before tumors form. Identification of women at high risk for developing breast cancer. Breast cancer prevention discoveries. Safer and more effective therapies through individualized therapy based on genetics. Better treatment of recurrences of breast cancer and prevention of metastasis. Enhancing lives of survivors through approaches that improve both length and quality of life.
For more information about the Vera Bradley Foundation visit, verabradley.org.
ECHL Stories from March 6, 2013
- Eagles Split Set against Steelheads with 2-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Everblades Spoil Late Cyclones Rally in OT, 5-4 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Shootout Dooms Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Grab Shootout Win Over Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Barnett Signs off as Reign Broadcaster - Ontario Reign
- Rookie Wedgewood Gets Call to AHL; Heeter/Harper Return to Trenton - Trenton Titans
- Bulls Host LGBTQ Night at the Cow Palace on March 23 - San Francisco Bulls
- "Easy Being Green" Returns March 8-9 to Promote Eco-Friendly Initiatives in a Hockey Setting - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Ontario Reign
- 'BE GREAT! Classic for Kids' a Hit at Amway Center - Orlando Solar Bears
- Bulls Return Home to Take on the West-Leading Aces - San Francisco Bulls
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Florida - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Sign Defenseman Dominic Jalbert - Reading Royals
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Pink the Rink Weekend Nets $15,582 for Breast Cancer Awareness - Fort Wayne Komets
- Elmira Jackals Sign Brian Elser - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 6 - ECHL
- Idaho Grinds out Tough Win over Colorado - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.