Davis' Late Goal Lifts Dynamo over Santos Laguna 1-0 in Champions LeagueMarch 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Houston Dynamo Press Release
The Dynamo will carry a 1-0 lead into the second game of the two-leg, aggregate score series on Wednesday, March 13 at Estadio Corona in Torreon, Mexico. The team with more total goals in the series will advance to the Champions League semifinals.
With the win, the Dynamo remain perfect at BBVA Compass Stadium and extend their home unbeaten streak to 32 games in all competitions, the second-longest streak in Major League Soccer history.
In a very exciting game with chances for both clubs, it took until the 89th minute for the Dynamo to break through.
The scoring play began when Boniek Garcia won a header at midfield off a Santos Laguna goal kick and Davis quickly played the ball wide to Corey Ashe, who drove to the edge of the penalty area before laying the ball in the path of Davis. After a touch, Davis drove a low shot into the far side of the net for the vital game-winner.
It was Ashe's sixth assist in international competition for the Dynamo to match Brian Ching for the most in Dynamo history. It was also his 20th assist in all competitions with Houston to move past Stuart Holden for fifth on the club's all-time list.
Brian Ching entered the game in the second half for his 30th game in international competition with the Dynamo. He passed Brian Mullan and is now the franchise leader in international appearances.
It was also Ashe's 29th game in international competition with Dynamo. He is now tied with Brian Mullan for second on the franchise list.
Ricardo Clark started the game for his 147th appearance with the Dynamo in all competitions. Clark passed Geoff Cameron for seventh on the franchise list.
It was Bobby Boswell and Clark's 22nd start in international competition with the Dynamo. Each passed Brian Ching for third on the club's all-time list.
Next Match: Wednesday, March 13, 7 p.m. CT, Santos Laguna vs. Houston Dynamo, Estadio Corona, Torreon, Mexico (Champions League quarterfinals second leg)
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2013
- Davis' Late Goal Lifts Dynamo over Santos Laguna 1-0 in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- CSN's "State of the Revs" Returns - New England Revolution
- Revs Eye Return to Postseason in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Chandler Hoffman Ready for a Fresh Start with the Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Reading United Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Signs 2013 MLS SuperDraft Pick Taylor Kemp - D.C. United
- Quebec Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau Makes the Jump - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Launch Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quarterfinals Commence in CONCACAF Champions League - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Dynamo Host Santos Laguna in First Leg of Champions League Quarterfinals Tonight - Houston Dynamo
- Sal Zizzo Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Veteran Journalist Richard Fleming to Join Rapids as Director of Broadcasting - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Altitude Announce New Broadcast Talent for 2013 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Names WPWR My50 Chicago as Official Television Partner - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Matt Kassel - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.