LA Galaxy Beat UCLA 7-2 in Preseason ExhibitionFebruary 14, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy Press Release
Charlie Rugg, playing in his first game of the preseason after overcoming a groin injury, scored a pair of second half goals. Sean Franklin, who got the start on the right side of midfield, also scored twice while Michael Stephens, Omar Gonzalez and Hector Jimenez each added individual tallies.
Making the start up front alongside Mike Magee, Jack McBean set up a trio of Galaxy goals, including Michael Stephens' opener in the 13th minute.
That was the first of four first half goals for the Galaxy as Omar Gonzalez doubled the LA lead in the 29th minute, heading home a Juninho corner kick. Franklin would add a pair of goals in the final five minutes of the half, the second of which came after Magee smartly took a quick freekick, leaving Franklin with the simplest of finishes and sending the Galaxy into the break with a 4-0 lead.
Shortly after the break, Hector Jimenez made it 5-0, finishing a pass from Magee. McBean and Magee each came off following the fifth goal and it was soon 6-0 as Rugg scored his first, heading home a Jimenez corner kick.
Former Galaxy Academy forward Reed Williams cut LA's lead to 6-1 in the 66th minute, only for Rugg to restore his team's six-goal advantage in the 78th minute, heading in a Bryan Gaul cross to make the score 7-1.
Evan Raynr rounded out the scoring in the 82nd minute, tallying UCLA's second goal to give the game its final 7-2 scoreline.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2013
- Chivas USA Arrives in Las Vegas for Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Superior Smarts Helping Caldwell Adapt to MLS - New England Revolution
- Past Experience with the Galaxy Brings Andy Riemer to the Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Defender Steven Beitashour Undergoes Sports Hernia Procedure - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Signs Defenders Steve Purdy and Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Faces the Philadelphia Union Friday in Jacksonville - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Foundation Launches Fifth Annual Reading Garden Challenge - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Trades Defender James Riley - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Acquires James Riley from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and MSG Networks Release 2013 Television Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets Go On Sale February 18 - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Sign Houston Native Bryan Salazar to Homegrown Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - New England Revolution
- Register to Run the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Behalf of the Chicago Fire Foundation - Chicago Fire
- DDC Opener Turns Physical; Tierney Injured - New England Revolution
- Revs Blanked - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Beat UCLA 7-2 in Preseason Exhibition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jack McBean and Charlie Rugg Shine in Galaxy's Preseason Win over UCLA - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.