Miners Clinch Wild Card SpotSeptember 2, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
Lake Erie took a 1-0 lead in the top of the fourth inning with a two out RBI single by Brandon Decker. The Miners came back in the bottom of the fourth inning off Crushers starter Eric Gonzalez-Diaz and reliever Travis Risser by scoring six runs. Jake Kaase, Javier Herrera and Jason Ganek hit solo home runs off Gonzalez-Diaz to take a 3-1 lead. Cannon Lester hit a RBI single and Alvaro Ramirez hit a two RBI single to give the Miners a 6-1 lead.
Lake Erie added another run in the top of the sixth inning off Gilblair to cut the Miners lead to four runs. The Miners lead 6-2 heading into the top of the seventh inning. Miners reliever Brandon Cunniff walked the bases loaded with one out. Cunniff settled down and got Andrew Davis to pop out to short stop Jake Kaase and ended the game on a fly out to left fielder Chad Maddox. The Miners would win the game 6-2.
The Miners finish the season at 55-39 and are the fourth seed in the Frontier League playoffs. The Miners will face the Traverse City Beach Bums in the first round on Wednesday at Wuerfel Park.
The Southern Illinois Miners have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year three times since its inception. It has also set a new Frontier League attendance record in 2007. For media inquiries concerning the Miners, please contact Mike Ventola, Director of Media Relations 618-998-8499 ext. 8547 or email@example.com. For ticket information please contact the Rent One Park Box Office at 618-998-8499. For any additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
Frontier League Stories from September 2, 2012
- Joliet Sweeps CornBelters in Double Header to End Season on High Note - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Clinch Wild Card Spot - Southern Illinois Miners
- RiverHawks Lose Season Finale - Rockford RiverHawks
- CornBelters Score One Run in Doubleheader Sweep - Normal CornBelters
- Rascals Close out Season in Style - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Finish off Regular Season with Impressive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Evansville Otters Lose Season Finale at Home - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Punctuate Inaugural Season with Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Magnificent Regular Season Comes to a Close - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Still Breathing, Defeat Miners 6-2 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Drop Game One - Southern Illinois Miners
- September 2 Joliet Slammers Double Header Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Win Quick on Cuevas Homer - Rockford RiverHawks
- RiverHawks, Grizzlies to Complete Tie Game, Then Play Season Finale - Rockford RiverHawks
- RiverHawks Lose and Tie... Yep, You Read That Right - Rockford RiverHawks
- Grizzlies Pick up Doubleheader Win against RiverHawks - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.