Aeros Edge Squirrels 4-1 In 12 InningsSeptember 1, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
One night after clinching their 8th division title in franchise history, the Aeros (81-59) continued their winning ways. With the division title locked up, the Aeros can now look toward recording the best record in the Eastern League, where they are three games ahead of the Trenton Thunder. Richmond (70-70) lost for the second consecutive night to fall to the .500 mark and stay in third place in the Western Division of the EL.
Akron got the first run of the ballgame in the third inning on a bases-loaded RBI walk by Nick Weglarz. That remained the game's only run until the bottom of the ninth inning, when Richmond tied the game on a Luke Anders RBI single off Akron closer Preston Guilmet. The game remained tied until Aguliar's go-ahead hit in the 12th. Matt Lawson immediately followed Aguliar with a two-run double to help secure the Akron victory.
Akron starter Danny Salazar pitched six shutout innings in a no decision, allowing four hits, no walks, and striking out three batters. Trey Haley followed Salazar with two excellent innings of relief, allowing two baserunners on one hit and one walk while striking out four. After Guilmet allowed a run in his inning of work, Bryce Stowell and Rob Bryson followed with three combined innings of no-hit relief. Stowell (2-1) pitched two innings to earn the win, striking out two in the process, while Bryson got the save for a two strikeout inning of shutdown relief.
Richmond starter Craig Westcott lasted six innings, allowing just one unearned run on seven hits, three walks, and three strikeouts. Chris Wilson each pitched two innings of shutout relief for the Squirrels. Tom Vesella (3-4) took the loss, allowing three runs on two earned over 1 1/3 innings.
The Aeros offense managed 13 hits on the night which saw eight starters record hits and five notch multi-hit nights. Lawson's double in the 12th marked the only extra base hit of the night for Akron. Aguliar had the most impressive night for the division winners, going 2-3 with three walks.
Richmond only managed six hits against the Akron pitchers, with just four batters recording hits on the night. Daniel Mayora and Anders each led the Squirrels with two hits apiece.
Playoff tickets are currently on sale at the Canal Park box office, by phone at (330) 253-5151, or online at www.akronaeros.com.
The Aeros will continue the series at Richmond on Sunday night at 5:05, in the third game of the four-game series at Richmond. RHP Danny Salazar (4-7, 3.90) will start for Akron while Eastern League Pitcher of the Year award winner RHP Chris Heston (9-7, 2.13) will counter for Richmond. All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 and online at www.sportsradio1350.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from September 1, 2012
- Aeros Top Squirrels in Extras, 4-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Top Squirrels In Extras, 4-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators Split Two with Bowie - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox and Senators Split Doubleheader - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Edge Squirrels 4-1 In 12 Innings - Akron Aeros
- Altoona Shuts Down 'Wolves - Erie SeaWolves
- Sobolewski Homers, But Rock Cats Top Fisher Cats 7-3 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Altoona Back at .500 with 4-1 Win over Erie - Altoona Curve
- Early Deficit Too Much for B-Mets, 3-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Records Fall in Rock Cats Comeback Win over Fisher Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Division Champs: Thunder Clinch East Then Beat Mets 3-2 - Trenton Thunder
- Pimentel Impressive in Sea Dogs 6-1 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs Trenton Thunder - Binghamton Mets
- SeaWolves Unveil 2013 Schedule - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Akron - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Chris Heston Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Year - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Neal to Big Leagues, Perez Activated - Akron Aeros
- Chris Heston Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Year - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 1 vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.