Zeke DeVoss Named MWL Player of the WeekAugust 13, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Peoria Chiefs
DeVoss hit .448 (13-for-29) last week and scored 10 runs with five extra base hits, five stolen bases and four RBI. He led all of Minor League Baseball in runs scored and led all of Class-A baseball in hits and stolen bases. DeVoss reached base safely in all seven games the Chiefs played last week and scored a run in six of the games. He was also top 10 among all Class A players for the week in extra-base hits, slugging (.724), on-base percentage (.529) and OPS (1.253)
After going 1-for-4 on Monday against Clinton, DeVoss broke out with a 4-for-4 game on Tuesday that included two doubles, a triple, a stolen base and four runs scored in Peoria's 5-3 win. During a three-game road series in Burlington DeVoss totaled five hits with a homer, double, three runs scored, two walks, two stolen bases, two walks and he was hit by a pitch. So far in the two games in Beloit, the speedy second baseman is 3-for-8 with a double, a stolen base, a run scored and two RBI.
During the week DeVoss raised his average from .231 to .246 and has 23 doubles, five triples, five home runs and 33 RBI on the season. He leads the Midwest League with 79 runs scored and is second on the year with 70 walks. DeVoss heads into Monday's game sixth in the MWL in both stolen bases (34) and on-base percentage (.377). He leads the Chiefs in runs, walks, steals, OBP and has been hit by a team-high 16 pitches. DeVoss, 22, was drafted by the Cubs in the third round of the 2011 draft out of the University of Miami. He has led off in all 105 starts this season and has 102 games at second base with three starts as the DH. The Mims, FL native is batting .354 so far in August.
The last Chiefs position player to win the MWL player of the Week Award was Javier Baez on July 15. Before that the last winner was Rebel Ridling on August 2, 2009 who won it one week after Jovan Rosa also claimed the away. Josh Vitters won the award in May 2009 as the Chiefs took three MWL Player of the Week Awards that season. Kyler Burke was named MWL Pitcher of the Week June 11, the first Chiefs pitcher to win the award since Robert Hernandez for the week of June 4-10, 2007. The only other pitcher to win the award since the Chiefs changed back to the Cubs affiliation in 2005 was Sean Gallagher April 25 - May 1, 2005. Eric Patterson took home two Player of the Week Awards in 2005 while Aaron Sisk won it May 29, 2005.
Midwest League Stories from August 13, 2012
- Wisconsin Tops Clinton To Take Series - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Fall 7-4 in Finale to Timber Rattlers - Clinton LumberKings
- Dickson Delivers in Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose on Late Unearned Run Monday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons avoid sweep, walk off Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Back to Back Homers Propel Snappers to 3-2 Win - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Avoid Sweep, Top Dragons 6-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Drop Road Trip Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Jimenez and homers lead Kernels to 5-1 win over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Claim Series Finale, 6-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Silver Hawks and Captains Postponed - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains and Silver Hawks Postponed - Lake County Captains
- Tyler Ybarra Heads to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Zeke DeVoss Named MWL Player of the Week - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Nearing 100th MLB Debut - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Duel Gives Way To Blowout Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alex Yarbrough to DL; Kevin Moesquit activated from DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Red-Hot Carter Leads Hot Rods to Series Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: August 15-17 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for August 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Hit Barrage for Clinton in 9-4 Win - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.