Errors Make the Difference in Bomber LossJuly 29, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Battle Creek Bombers
The Woodchucks scored first with a solo home run by Madison Carter in the bottom of the first inning. The home run was the only base hit that Bomber's starting pitcher Brian Valente (Eastern Michigan) gave up all night long. He threw the first five innings and gave up three runs on just that one base hit. Only one of those runs were earned, as the other two runs charged to Valente both scored on throwing errors by the Bomber defense.
Offensively, the Bombers got on the board in the top half of the 3rd inning. Daniel Rockett (UT: San Antonio) hit an RBI single into left field that scored Chris Sujka (Indiana) to make the score 2-1. The Woodchucks had pushed the lead to 3-1 in the 6th inning when Jeremy Shay (Bowling Green) hit a 2-run home run to tie the game. The home run was Shay's second in as many nights.
In the bottom half of the inning, the Woodchucks broke the 3-3 tie with an RBI double by Joe Serrano. This proved to be the deciding run, as both teams were held scoreless for the remainder of the game. With the win the Woodchucks move to 19-2 in the 2nd half of play. They have also won 17 consecutive home games at Athletic Park. Tomorrow night, Dan Tyson gets the start for the Bombers as they look to end their 5-game road trip on a high note.
The Battle Creek Bombers are members of the prestigious Northwoods League that has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any other summer collegiate baseball league in North America. For tickets call (269) 962-0735 or visit BattleCreekBombers.com.Â McCamly Plaza Hotel in downtownÂ Battle Creek is a proud supporting sponsor of the Battle Creek Bombers, as they begin their sixth season of play.
Northwoods League Stories from July 29, 2012
- Rox Stung by Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Lakeshore Tosses Complete Game to Fell Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Errors Make the Difference in Bomber Loss - Battle Creek Bombers
- Loggers Power Their Way to Win over Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Greenfield Completely K's out Competition Sunday, 4-2 - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Defensive Miscues Costly for Bombers, Woodchucks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Honkers Tame Huskies 6-2 - Rochester Honkers
- Two Steals of Home Aid to Bullfrogs Loss - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Case Lifts Beetles in Walk off Fashion - Alexandria Beetles
- Mallards Look to Cap Strong Month against Loggers - Madison Mallards
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Day at Mayo Field Today - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.