Rascals Take Series in Marathon 14-10 WinJuly 21, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
For the second time in the series, Florence's John Malloy started the game with a homerun, and before the Rascal cleanup hitter Charlie Lisk would hit for the first time, they were behind 5-0 after a four-run fourth inning from the Freedom (29-28)
River City (30-27) responded in the second when Ryan Kaup drove in two with a single to cut the early deficit to 5-2.
Malloy added another solo shot in the fourth and the Freedom plated another in the top of the fifth to stretch their lead back to five at 7-2.
River City would send ten to the plate in the bottom of the frame, scoring six runs on three hits with five walks helping the cause. Caleb Curry and Eric Williams reached to start the inning with walks before Zach Deutcher bunted for a single to load the bases. Jeremy Synan doubled in two runs before Lisk walked to re-load the bases. Andreas and Redal worked run-scoring walks to close the gap to 7-6 before a Matt Serna sac-fly was followed by another RBI single from Kaup to give the Rascals their first lead at 8-7.
Florence would get the lead right back, scoring two runs on a bases loaded wild pitch and errant throw in the sixth. Rascals took lead right back in the bottom of the inning, scoring two runs on back-to-back two-out doubles from Lisk and Andreas.
Florence tied it in the eighth on a wild pitch but left the bases loaded after Brandon Cunniff, after walking the first two he faced, struck out pinch hitter Ryan Skellie to end the threat.
A Williams walk, his third of the game, to start the eighth and Deutscher pushed a bunt past the pitcher for a single. After a sacrifice hit from Synan and intentional walk to Lisk to load the bases, Andreas lifted a ball to right field to drive in the go-ahead run but it was Redal's three-run blast that put the game away as Cunniff retired the side in order to lock down his third win this year.
River City is back in action Sunday with a double header in Evansville. Game one first pitch is set for 4:35 with game two to begin approximately 30 minutes after the first game is finished.
Frontier League Stories from July 21, 2012
- Rascals Take Series in Marathon 14-10 Win - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Sweep Boomers with Comeback Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Everything Working as Rippers Sweep - London Rippers
- Boomers Swept at Gateway - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers score four times with two outs to earn fourth sweep of season - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts in 6-5 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Slammers Strand 14, Drop Series Finale to Windy City - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Win 11-4 to Sweep Beach Bums - Rockford RiverHawks
- Otters Lose Series Finale 6-2 against Crushers - Evansville Otters
- Traverse City Falls in Series Finale - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters defeated by Rippers - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Fowler Strong in Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- July 21 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Shepherd Retires, Riverhawks Sign Schnitzer - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals to Host IBA All-Star Game - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.