First Inning Dooms B-Mets Again in 7-5 LossJuly 21, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Binghamton Mets
For the second straight night, the Baysox put up a crooked number in the first inning. After waiting through a 78-minute rain delay, the Bowie offense jumped on Germen for four runs on five hits. They sent nine men to the plate and scored all four runs with two outs, capped by Buck Britton's two-run double.
The B-Mets responded in the second with two-out offense of their own. With the bases loaded, Juan Lagares dumped a two-run single into right field against Bowie starter Jacob Pettit.
Germen did not return for the second, posting his shortest career start. Armando Rodriguez tossed a perfect second inning, but allowed two runs on two hits in the third. Bowie scratched out one more run on a pair of singles and two walks in the fourth.
Binghamton chased Pettit from the game with a two-out rally in the fifth. Mike Baxter started with a single and Eric Campbell followed by shooting a double to left. Wilmer Flores ended the lefty's night with two-run double to left-center. Jason Gurka took over and retired Marte to end the inning.
Rodriguez exited after three innings of work and handed off to veteran lefty C.J. Nitkowski in the fifth. Pitching in his first professional game in the United States since 2006, the southpaw posted a scoreless inning with one strikeout.
After threatening, but leaving the bases loaded against Gurka in the sixth, Binghamton scratched out a run in the eighth off reliever Mike Belfiore. The B-Mets loaded the bases again on two singles and a walk and Baxter supplied a sac fly. In his second rehab game with Binghamton, Baxter went 2-for-3 and scored a run.
Belfiore bounced back and stranded the tying run on first, inducing Campbell to ground out to end the inning. Kyler Newby came in for the ninth and worked a perfect inning to collect his sixth save of the season.
Gurka (1-0) did not allow a run over 1.1 innings of relief to earn the official scorer-awarded win. Germen (6-7) suffered the loss.
The B-Mets (46-53) wrap up their season series against the Baysox on Sunday at 6:05 PM. LHP Darin Gorski opposes RHP Mike Wright in the nightcap. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pre-game show begins at 5:50 PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
Eastern League Stories from July 21, 2012
- Baysox Start Quick, Hold off B-Mets - Bowie Baysox
- First Inning Dooms B-Mets Again in 7-5 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Crush Squirrels in 10-1 Win - Akron Aeros
- Curve Sweep Doubleheader from Erie - Altoona Curve
- Big First Inning by Reading Sinks Thunder, 7-1 - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Down Fisher Cats 9-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Snap Seven-Game Losing Streak with Shutout - Harrisburg Senators
- Akron Overwhelms Squirrels, 10-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Swept in Doubleheader - Erie SeaWolves
- Howard's Two Hits Not Enough in 9-1 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Wolves Drop Game One of Saturdays DH - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Games Notes vs. Akron - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Best Selling Author and Movie Stars Coming to Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Bowie Baysox - Binghamton Mets
- Brach to Mudcats - Akron Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.