Marte Named Tribe's June Player of the MonthJuly 4, 2012 - International League (IL) Indianapolis Indians
Marte paced the Indians and the International League with 25 runs scored during the month, while also tying for the league's best hits total with 39. During the month, the outfielder also ranked second in the IL with 67 total bases, tied for second with 28 RBI and tied for fourth with 15 extra-base hits.
Overall, in 29 games played in June, Marte batted .325 (39-for-120) with six doubles, five triples, four home runs and three stolen bases. With his five triples during the month, Marte now has 10 triples on the season, a total which is currently tied for the best in all of Minor League Baseball.
The No. 4 overall prospect in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization according to Baseball America, Marte finished out the month of June in a big way, posting six straight multi-hit efforts from June 25 to June 30. Marte's multi-hit streak stretched all the way to July 2 and during his historic run the Dominican Republic native collected the second most hits (18) in all of Minor League Baseball and tied for the most RBI (14).
As of July 3, Marte is batting .290 (90-for-310) with 52 runs, 16 doubles, 10 triples, nine home runs, 50 RBI and 17 steals, while ranking among the Top 10 in the IL in seven major offensive categories.
Marte and the Indians are back home at Victory Field to take on the Louisville Bats tonight at 6:05 p.m. Though the special Fourth of July contest is sold out, standing room only tickets will be made available at game-time and plenty of great seats are still available for the Thursday night contest against the Bats, which gets underway at 7:05 p.m.
For all the latest Indianapolis Indians ticket information, fans can go online to IndyIndians.com, call the Indians single game ticket hotline at 317-269-2282 or by visit the Victory Field Box Office, open daily at 501 West Maryland Street.
International League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Gwinnett tops Charlotte, 6-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- Repko, Hee Blast PawSox to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Pawtucket 7, Rochester 4 - Rochester Red Wings
- Columbus Brings Offensive Fireworks, Beats Hens 13-3 on Fourth of July - Toledo Mud Hens
- Yankee Offense Explodes to Down IronPigs 8-5 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Day with Big Win - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Shut out Bisons on Independence Day - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tribe Lights up Louisville 6-1 in Front of 14,504 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Wednesday, July 4 vs. Pawtucket (Red Sox) - Rochester Red Wings
- Heath Recalled by Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:30 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Orioles Recall RHP Chris Tillman from Triple-A Norfolk - Norfolk Tides
- Marte Named Tribe's June Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.