Slammers Pitching Blows Two Leads in Loss to FlorenceJuly 3, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
Things started off bad for Jake Renshaw, giving up a solo home run to David Harris in the first with one away. Joliet quickly pulled ahead in the second when Matt Mirabal got a run across on a groundout, and Brad Netzel smacked an RBI double to take the 2-1 lead. The Slammers tacked on an insurance run in the third when Abel Nieves doubled to bring around Hector Pellot.
Florence tied it up in the fifth on a pair of home runs by John Malloy and Drew Rundle. Joliet quickly regained the lead in the bottom of the inning when Pellot belted an RBI double and eventually crossed on a fielding error. But the Freedom again came roaring back with three more in the sixth to take a 6-5 lead. Peter Fatse knocked a run-scoring double, Eddie Rodriguez followed with an RBI triple, and with a runner on third, John Malloy hit a sacrifice fly. Jimmy Waters scored in the seventh for Joliet to tie it up at six.
Slammers pitching allowed the final two runs to score for Florence in the ninth inning. With runners aboard, Jim Jacquot brought in the go-ahead run on a single, and Pierre LePage scored the insurance run to make the final 8-6.
Renshaw threw into the sixth for Joliet, issuing five runs on five hits while fanning six. Brian Smith and Geoff Brown threw short relief, while Chase Doremus gave up the final runs for the loss.
The Slammers continue the holiday homestand Wednesday in game two with the Freedom at 7:05. Fans can listen live on AM 1340 WJOL with Aaron Morse and Greg Talbott calling the action.
Frontier League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Slammers Pitching Blows Two Leads in Loss to Florence - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Win Fifth Straight; Hammer ThunderBolts - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fall to Miners 8-4 - River City Rascals
- Miners Start Series on Right Foot - Southern Illinois Miners
- Gateway Glides by ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks activate Shepherd, release two - Rockford RiverHawks
- Morrow Is Masterful in 2-1 Otters Win - Evansville Otters
- Vargas Powers Beach Bums Past CornBelters - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers leap over .500 hump with 5-2 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- First Place Boomers Fall in Series Opener at Evansville - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Storms Past Rippers - London Rippers
- Vargas, Beach Bums Pop CornBelters 8-5 - Normal CornBelters
- Lee outduels Lee as RiverHawks fall, 3-0 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Lee Flirts with No-Hitter, Wild Things Win 3-0 - Washington Wild Things
- July 3 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Wild Things Come to Schaumburg for Weekend Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Umberger Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.