McLouth, Norfolk Tip Syracuse 4-3July 3, 2012 - International League (IL) Norfolk Tides
After hitting a walk-off homer Monday, McLouth powered Norfolk to a win with a two-run shot in the fifth that gave the Tides a 3-1 lead. McLouth has now hit safely in four straight games, batting .400 (6-for-15) with two homers and seven RBI over that span.
With the win, the Tides completed a four-game home sweep of Syracuse for the first time since July of 1991. The win also put Norfolk (44-43) over the .500 mark for the first time since the Tides were 2-1 in April, 2010.
Four different pitchers appeared in the game for the Tides, who were short-handed due to the impending promotion of Chris Tillman and the retirement of Dontrelle Willis.
J.C. Romero started the game to become the 20th different starting pitcher used by Norfolk in 2012. Romero allowed one run over 2.2 innings before giving way to Oscar Villarreal (3-2), who earned the win with 3.1 innings of scoreless relief.
The Chiefs plated two runs in the eighth inning, as Corey Brown and Jarrett Hoffpauir hit one-out singles off of Greg Burke before coming around to score against Pat Neshek. Neshek recovered to strike out Chris Marrero and Brett Carroll to end the eighth inning threat, then worked a perfect ninth to register his ninth save of the season.
Neshek has not allowed an earned run since May 29 - a span of 12 appearances covering 14.1 innings. Over that stretch he's struck out 21 while walking one and yielding six hits.
Steve Tolleson and Blake Davis each had two hits in the win, while Joe Mahoney added an RBI double.
The Tides will travel to Durham Wednesday to kick off their final road trip of the first half. IL All-Star Jason Berken (1-2, 2.99) will take the hill for Norfolk against Bulls right-hander Jim Paduch (4-6, 5.31).
International League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Navarro and Mercer Bash Indians Past Bats 7-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- McLouth, Norfolk Tip Syracuse 4-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Come Back and Beat PawSox, 5-3 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Squeak by Chiefs, 4-3, in Norfolk - Syracuse Chiefs
- IronPigs Come Back in the 8th to Beat SWB 6-5 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Tuesday's Game Suspended, Will Resume on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Orioles Place INF Brian Roberts on the 15-Day DL; OF Xavier Avery Recalled - Norfolk Tides
- Gwinnett Braves, Charlotte Knights Suspended by Rain - Gwinnett Braves
- Matt Joyce to Join Bulls on Rehab Assignment - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Notes - Durham at Buffalo (6:05 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Dan Johnson to Participate in 2012 Triple-A Home Run Derby - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons' Valentino Pascucci to Compete in All-Star HR Derby - Buffalo Bisons
- Triple-A Home Run Derby Participants Announced - IL
- Leslie Anderson Added to All-Star Game Roster - Durham Bulls
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Tuesday, July 3 at Pawtucket (Red Sox) - Rochester Red Wings
- Mud Hens Team up with ISOH/IMPACT to Collect Supplies for Storm Victims - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.