Helms' Heroics and Coleman's Bat Lead T-BonesJuly 2, 2012 - American Association (AA) Kansas City T-Bones
In the dramatic extra-inning affair, KC surged in front in the top of the 10th as Trevor Coleman drove a Pete Parise pitch into the left-center field gap to score Gus Milner who had led off the inning with a single. Coleman later scored in the frame on a wild pitch, giving the T-Bones a 3-1 lead.
Then, with two outs and a runner on first in the bottom of the 10th, the Saltdogs cleanup hitter, Alonso, launched a deep drive to left field but was robbed by Helms.
Brian Grening started for the T-Bones and pitched well, coming away with a no decision. Grening (5-2) went seven, allowing one run on six hits, while striking out seven. Lefty Steve Kent (2-2) earned the win with two innings of scoreless baseball in the eighth and ninth innings, including four strikeouts. Righty Mike Mehlich picked up his second save by shutting down the Saltdogs - with Helms' help - in the 10th.
Coleman finished three for five including the game-winning double, and tallied two RBIs. Milner finished two for four with two singles and a stolen base.
The dramatic victory earned KC a split in the four-game set and improves their overall record to 24-20. The T-Bones now return home for a four-game series versus the Sioux Falls Fighting Pheasants (24-18) July 3rd through the 6th as the top two Wildcard contenders battle it out. KC sends righty Shaun Garceau (4-0; 1.67 ERA) to the mound on Tuesday night. Tickets to the game at CommunityAmerica Ballpark are available by calling 913.328.5618.
American Association Stories from July 2, 2012
- Pheasants Sweep Away RailCats with Shutout - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Helms' Heroics and Coleman's Bat Lead T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bones Hang on in 10th, Escape with Series Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Early Offense Leads AirHogs to Sweep - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Pheasants Shutout RailCats to Sweep Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Announce June 22 Thru June 24 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Snapple and Cub Foods Team up with Saints to Host Emotional July 3rd Honoring Military Moms - St. Paul Saints
- Hodsdon Named Pitcher of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- T-Bones Hosting Former Major League All-Stars on Friday Night - Kansas City T-Bones
- Ziegler Named Batter of the Month - Wichita Wingnuts
- July 19 Start Time Moved to 7:05 p.m. - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Gaston Named Player of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Rusch's Wrath Earns Him Pitcher of the Month - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Sox prepare series festivities including Fourth of July fireworks - Amarillo Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.