Sanchez Presents Lugs With 6-1 WinJuly 1, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
Sanchez (Win, 7-0) struck out six while walking one and allowing just three hits over five innings of work. Two of the three hits the righty allowed were infield singles and he allowed just two base runners to reach second.
The Lugnuts offense jumped on the board early against Archie Bradley (Loss, 7-5) with a pair of tallies in the first inning. Kevin Pillar delivered an RBI single then stole second while Andy Burns stole home as part of a double steal.
In the second, Shane Opitz added to the Lugnuts lead with an RBI double off Bradley. The Silver Hawks' starter finished after three innings of work in which he walked five, struck out six, allowed two hits and three runs.
In the fifth inning, Burns (1-for-4) added an RBI triple and scored on Pillar's (2-for-5) second RBI single of the night.
Opitz had two hits in the victory and Chris Hawkins reached base safely four times with two hits and a pair of walks.
After early struggles on the road trip from the bullpen, three relievers combined to secure the Lugs victory. Tyler Ybarra tossed a scoreless sixth inning. Blake McFarland allowed one run in two innings of work before Ajay Meyer threw a scoreless ninth.
Lansing has won the opener of all three series and is 3-4 on its current nine-game road trip. The first pitch of the second game of this three-game series is at 7:35 p.m. on Monday, July 2nd. Lefty David Rollins (5-1, 3.10) will start for the Lugs; right-hander Tyler Green (2-4, 4.38) will start for the Silver Hawks.
Lansing will return home on Wednesday, July 4th for a 7:05 p.m. game against the Great Lakes Loons. The opener of a three-game homestand will feature LAFCU Fireworks. Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Loons Lose in Extras, 8-5 - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps Slug Three Home Runs In Comeback Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hawks Stifled by Stingy Lugnuts - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Sano's Homer Sinks Kernels, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sanchez Presents Lugs With 6-1 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Fall 20-10 in Slugfest at Bowling Green - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Win Rain-Shortened Game, 4-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Segovia, Malm Slam Hot Rods to Ten-Run Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fort Wayne Shuts out Lake County 4-0 in Six Innings - Lake County Captains
- Quad Cities stops Rattlers win streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Red-Hot LumberKings Make It 5 in a Row - Clinton LumberKings
- Beloit Snaps Losing Streak - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Lose 15-7 to LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Drop Fifth Straight In Sunday Loss to Cougars - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Defeat Chiefs to Open Series - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Three Former Quad Cities Players Make MLB All-Star Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels drop heartbreaker at Quad Cities, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hubbard and Lake County Win 7-4 - Lake County Captains
- Quad Cities Walks off 8-7, Completes Sweep of Kernels - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Swept by LumberKings - Beloit Snappers
- Fireworks Flash in Loons' Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees' Cole Carves up Cougars in Win, 5-0 - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Lose 9-5 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.