Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over MinersJuly 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
After scoring five runs in the final two innings and rallying for an extra inning win Friday, the Grizzlies picked up right where they left off, jumping out to a first inning seven-run lead.
Gateway (20-20) did all of their damage in the first inning with two outs. Rogelio Norris started the scoring with an RBI single. After a walk and a hit by pitch, John Shelby continued his recent surge with a three-run double. Landon Hernandez followed up with a walk and Antone DeJesus capped off the Grizzlies opening inning scoring with his second home run of the season, a three-run blast to right field.
Grizzlies starting pitcher Pat Arnold (3-1) gave up four runs in the fifth on four Southern Illinois (24-16) hits, but that was all they would get off him. Arnold got the win after going five innings with five hits and four runs surrendered. He struck out two and walked two.
Jon Myers provided insurance with a two-run home run in the fifth inning and the Grizzlies tacked on another run in the sixth on a wild pitch.
Gateway scored a season-high 13 runs on a season-high 16 hits Friday and followed that up with 10 runs on 12 hits Saturday.
Norris, Chris McClendon and DeJesus all had their second straight multi-hit games.
Gateway and Southern Illinois play game two of the series Sunday night at GCS Ballpark. Chris Enourato (2-2) gets the start for the Grizzlies. First pitch is set for 6:05 CT.
Frontier League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Dominate Normal - River City Rascals
- Slammers Snap Four Game Skid - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Shutout in Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Announce Time Change for July 3rd and July 4th - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters Walloped by River City - Normal CornBelters
- Lake Erie Crushers Split DH with Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Mozingo's Walk-Off Double Caps Ninth Inning Rally - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win Streak - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Grab Canada Day Win in Grand Fashion - London Rippers
- RiverHawks release pitcher - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums' Langbehn Named East Division All-Star Manager - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Max Peterson Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Lose Fourth-Straight - River City Rascals
- Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Series Opener to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.