Crew Waives Francis, Perry and VeederJune 27, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Columbus Crew
Originally selected by the Crew in the fourth round (No. 63 overall) of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft, Francis was in his third season with the club. He tallied four assists in 28 games, 21 of them starting assignments. A native of Jamaica, his departure opens an international roster spot.
Acquired via weighted lottery on Feb. 15, 2011, Veeder appeared in eight matches during the Crew's 2011 conquest of the MLS Reserve League East Division title, recording an assist. This season, he appeared in six reserve matches with three starts.
Perry was selected in the second round (No. 26 overall) of the 2012 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of South Florida. He appeared in six reserve matches, with five starts, scoring the lone Crew goal in a 2-1 loss to Montreal on March 24, and started the Black & Gold's Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match against Dayton.
"We thank Shaun, Aubrey and Korey for their service to the club and wish them success in the future," said Crew head coach Robert Warzycha. "It is unusual to have two season-ending injuries in the same season, and that has certainly been a contributing factor in making these moves to become roster and salary-cap compliant. These are good young players and good young men which makes these decisions even more difficult."
Founded by American sports pioneer Lamar Hunt, the Columbus Crew is Ohio's Major League Soccer club, anchoring a diverse sports and entertainment enterprise. One of the league's Charter Members, it won its first MLS Cup championship in 2008 and has also won the 2002 U.S. Open Cup and MLS Supporters' Shield titles in 2004, 2008 and 2009. It is now in its 17th season overall and 14th at first-of-its-kind Crew Stadium.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 27, 2012
- Impact loses 3-0 to Toronto FC at home - Montreal Impact
- Sporting Kansas City Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers to Host Tryouts for Academy Teams - Portland Timbers
- Crew News & Notes: Crew Hosts Real Salt Lake on Red, White & Crew Night this Saturday - Columbus Crew
- Red Bulls, Wilmington Hammerheads Agree to Extend Hertzog Loan - New York Red Bulls
- KICKTV Continues Summer of Growth with New Content Partnerships - MLS
- Chicago Fire Player Development Update - Chicago Fire
- RSL Acquires 3rd-Year Centerback Kwame Watson-Siriboe from Chicago - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Acquire 2014 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Real Salt Lake - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United to host Paris Saint-Germain on July 28 at RFK Stadium - D.C. United
- Mexico's League Champion Santos Laguna Joins 2012 Herbalife World Football Challenge; Paris Saint-Ge - MLS
- Crew Waives Francis, Perry and Veeder - Columbus Crew
- Fan Voting for 2012 AT&T All-Star Game Ends Monday, July 2 at 5 p.m. ET - MLS
- Chivas USA Advance to Semifinals of U.S. Open Cup 2012 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Tops San Jose 1-0 in U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Drop U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal 1-0 against Seattle - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.