Round Rock Express Nip Iowa 4-2June 23, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
Iowa struck first in the top of the first inning as Brett Jackson smacked a leadoff home run. Luis Hernandez led off the fourth with a single to left. After a Ryan Spilborghs strikeout, Nelson followed with a towering homer to left center. Next, Joey Butler picked up a one-out single and Matt Kata doubled down the right field line. Bianucci drove Butler home with a single before Guilder Rodriguez grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Each team managed to tack on one more run. Alfredo Amezaga drove home Juan Apodaca on a sacrifice fly in the fifth for the Cubs. Round Rock got an insurance run in the sixth when Spilborghs scored on a throwing error by Blake Dewitt.
Zach Jackson (3-8) picked up the win for the Express. He tossed seven and one-third innings and allowed two runs on seven hits and two walks and struck out five.
Volstad (2-2) was ticketed with the loss after allowing four runs-three earned-on six hits and two walks in six innings. He picked up four strikeouts along the way.
Nelson led the way for the Express with his ninth homer, and eighth on the road. Bianucci had a pair of hits and an RBI. Hernandez also picked up two hits.
Jackson paced the Cubs with two hits and an RBI. Ty Wright and Apodaca also had a pair of hits each.
Round Rock continues its four-game series Sunday at Des Moines. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. CDT. Right-hander Greg Reynolds (6-5, 4.57 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express opposite Cubs right-hander Rodrigo Lopez (1-2, 4.29 ERA).
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2012
- Blum's Slam Pushes Aces to 12-4 Win - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Nip Iowa 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sox Rough up Rainiers' Top Prospect in 8-4 Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- RedHawks Return Home With 4-3 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rainiers Clipped By Colorado Springs, 8-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Powers Through Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Storm Chasers dip to 17-19 away from home - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dominguez Homer Rallies Zephyrs Past Redbirds - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Brad Mills Returns from Disabled List - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs) - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Top Reno, 6-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Sweep Grizzlies with 2-1 Walk-Off Win - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.