Keys Stumble Late for Seventh Consecutive LossJune 21, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Frederick Keys
After Ty Kelly gave the Keys a 2-1 lead in the seventh inning, Myrtle Beach came back to score twice in the eighth to take a 3-2 lead and claim victory from thereafter, closing the door in the eighth and ninth innings.
It's the tenth loss in eleven games for Frederick, who start the second-half of the season at 0-1. The Keys finished the first-half at 27-43.
For the Keys, Ty Kelly's late blast in the seventh broke what was a tight 1-1 game. The All-Star's fifth homerun of the year sailed over the left-field wall provide a 2-1 lead late in the game.
Yet it didn't last long. The next time up to the plate for Myrtle Beach, they rallied for two runs against reliever Ryan Berry, who was charged with the loss.
After Christian Villanueva doubled with one out in the eighth, Vinny DiFazio hit him home with a single, which tied the score at two. After a wild pitch put DiFazio into scoring position, Tomas Telis hit him home with a single into centerfield to give Myrtle Beach their 3-2 lead.
The Keys mustered only two hits against starting pitcher Wilmer Font and relievers Jimmy Reyes, Joe Van Meter, and Ben Rowen. In the eighth and ninth inning, the Keys went down in order both times.
The Keys will look to end their seven game slide as they take on Myrtle Beach tomorrow night at 7 PM for Fredneck Night, which will feature the popular Cowboy Monkey Rodeo act.
LHP Tim Berry (0-0, 0.00 ERA) starts for Frederick while RHP Kyle Hendricks (1-7, 2.72 ERA) gets the nod for Myrtle Beach.
For tickets to see the renowned Cowboy Monkey Rodeo, fans can purchase them online at FrederickKeys.com or by calling 301-815-9939.
Carolina League Stories from June 21, 2012
- P-Nats Walk-Off in Extras to Start Second Half - Potomac Nationals
- Mudcats Overwhelm Blue Rocks, 7-3 - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar, Wolters Shine in Rout of Blue Rocks - Carolina Mudcats
- Unearned Run Pushes Potomac to Win in 10th - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Stumble Late for Seventh Consecutive Loss - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Two-Hit Keys to Start Second Half - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Epic Rain Postpones Second-Half Opener - Salem Red Sox
- 'Cats and Sox Postponed Due to Weather - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Ventura to Play in Futures Game, Myers & Odorizzi Too - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- INF Mark DeRosa Rehabbing with Potomac Tonight - Potomac Nationals
- Bundy Selected to Futures All-Star Game - Frederick Keys
- Carlos Sanchez Selected to All-Star Futures Game - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans Face Bundy Saturday in Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.