RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher from Ohio StateJune 12, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
Armstrong was drafted out of Turner Ashby High School by the Atlanta Braves in the 45th round of the 2007 MLB June Amateur Draft, but elected to attend Ohio State.
As a Buckeye, Armstrong amassed a record of eight wins and eight losses and an ERA of 6.39. During his first two seasons at Ohio State, Armstrong started 14 games out of his 23 appearances.
In 2010, Armstrong received a medical redshirt and used the season to rehabilitate his left shoulder after surgery in the summer of 2009.
In his first year after the redshirt, Armstrong was a workhorse, leading the Big Ten with 33 appearances, all out of the bullpen. Armstrong again led the Big Ten in appearances this past Spring, coming out of the bullpen 36 times for the Buckeyes.
Armstrong struck out an average of one batter per inning through his senior season.
A spot was opened on the RiverHawks' roster Tuesday due to pitcher Nick Sarianides being placed on the Suspended List due to breaking team rules.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league in its 20th season. Games are broadcast live on NTA-FM (100.5 FM). Advertising and season-ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2012
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Snapped with Loss to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Out-Slug Grizzlies 11-8 - River City Rascals
- Miners Lose Close One to Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Four Run Eighth Propels Traverse City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Slammers Bounce Back with 8-0 Shutout - Joliet Slammers
- Evansville Rallies Late But Falls Short at Normal - Evansville Otters
- Lee Pitches RiverHawks Past ThunderBolts - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Blanked at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Topple Evansville 5-1 - Normal CornBelters
- Longfellow shines in Lake Erie win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Catapano Frustrates Rippers - London Rippers
- Wild Things on Short End of 8-2 Decision - Washington Wild Things
- June 12 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher from Ohio State - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Release New Concession Item "Arch Nemesis" - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.