Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against EvansvilleJune 9, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
Martinez finished 2 for 5 in the game with his first home run of the season, two runs scored, and three runs driven in.
Evansville led 1-0 on a Martinez groundball that scored a first inning run, but Traverse City stormed back for two runs in the bottom of the inning.
Both teams would then rally for three runs in the third inning as Traverse City re-gained a one run advantage.
After Martinez hit the fifth inning home run, both teams were tied again at five runs apeice.
Evansville had a chance to take their third lead of the game in the sixth, but a pickoff of infielder Greg Fontenot stranded the possible go-ahead run at third.
Traverse City responded against the Evansville bullpen, tallying two runs in the seventh and four more runs in the eighth for an 11-5 victory.
The Beach Bums have now won back to back games starting the series, improving their record to 13-7. With the loss, the Otters are now 7-13.
Both starting pitchers were not involved in the decision. Cory Baker made his professional debut for Traverse City, lasting just 2 1/3 innings, while allowing four runs. Lefty Matt Zielinski threw six innings for the Otters yielding five runs.
Reliever Nick Capito (3-0) earns the win, throwing 2 1/3 hitless and scoreless innings. The loss goes to Tyree Hayes (0-2) as the right-hander allowed two runs in one inning.
Evansville will now look to win the last game of the series on Sunday at Wuerfel Park. First pitch is set for 5:05 p.m. EDT as ace Dan Blewett (1-1, 0.69 Earned Run Average) will start for the Otters and fellow righty Brooks Belter (2-0, 3.77 ERA) will take the ball for the Beach Bums.
dsl240slmult1tx1220 Evansville will return home next Thursday when they open a three game series with the London Rippers. Bosse Field will again host Thirsty Thursday, with $1 draft beer. Tickets are still available and can be purchased by calling the Box Office at (812) 435-8686.
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Boomers Hang on for 6-5 Win on Cancer Survivors' Night - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Seventh Inning for Rippers Dooms Joliet - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Hit Their Way to Victory over Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Throttle Evansville Bullpen - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts beat Florence 4-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shutout Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Brodin's Blast Catapults London - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things drop Game Two - Washington Wild Things
- Normal wins second road game, 4-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on Monday - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher, Will Start Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- When the Wild Things Are Away, Country Music Will Play - Washington Wild Things
- June 9 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Win in Comeback Fashion against Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.