Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive WinJune 9, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
Gateway (9-11) wasted no time getting on the scoreboard. Jonathan Johnson, Jerod Yakubik and John Shelby singled to put three of the first four hitters in the game on base. After Johnson scored on a Lake Erie (7-13) wild pitch, Grizzlies shortstop Vladimir blasted a three-run home run to right field, his first of the season, to the give the Grizzlies a 4-0 first inning lead.
The Grizzlies added to their total in the second inning. After the first two batters were retired, Antone DeJesus singled, Yakubik walked and Shelby hit a three-run home run of his own to give Gateway a seven-run lead in the second.
That was the only scoring in the game as the Gateway pitchers, led by starter Patrick Arnold (1-0), kept the Crushers bats silent all evening.
Arnold picked up his first win of the season after tossing five scoreless innings. He surrendered only three hits while walking four and striking out five.
Chris Enourato threw three scoreless innings of relief and Zac Treece worked a one-two-three ninth inning.
DeJesus, Yakubik, Shelby, Frias, Mike Schwartz and Richie Jimenez Jr. all enjoyed multi-hit games for the Grizzlies.
The Grizzlies and Crushers conclude their three game series on Sunday at All Pro Freight Stadium. Right-hander Cale Johnson (0-2) makes his fifth start of the season for Gateway. First pitch is set for 5:05 EST.
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Boomers Hang on for 6-5 Win on Cancer Survivors' Night - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Seventh Inning for Rippers Dooms Joliet - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Hit Their Way to Victory over Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Throttle Evansville Bullpen - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts beat Florence 4-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shutout Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Brodin's Blast Catapults London - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things drop Game Two - Washington Wild Things
- Normal wins second road game, 4-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on Monday - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher, Will Start Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- When the Wild Things Are Away, Country Music Will Play - Washington Wild Things
- June 9 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Win in Comeback Fashion against Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.