Dragons Fall to South Bend 11-6June 1, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
South Bend led 4-3 after five innings when they erupted for three runs in the sixth, two in the seventh, and two in the eighth to take an 11-3 lead. The Dragons scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth to close out the scoring.
Junior Arias belted a solo home run for Dayton in the third inning and Yovan Gonzalez collected three hits as part of a nine-hit attack. Arias and Juan Perez each drove in two runs.
Starting pitcher Stalin Gerson suffered the loss. He worked the first five innings, allowing seven hits and four runs (two earned) with no walks and one strikeout. Jimmy Moran allowed three runs in one of relief. Ryan Kemp worked an inning and allowed two runs. Cole Green pitched the eighth and gave two unearned runs. Carlos Contreras pitched a perfect top of the ninth, striking out two.
The Dragons travel to Bowling Green, Kentucky on Saturday to meet the Bowling Green Hot Rods at 8:05 p.m. (WONE 980 AM) in the first game of a three-game series. Jacob Johnson (0-1, 2.40) will start for Dayton against Bowling Green's Jake Floethe (5-1, 3.45). The next home game is Wednesday, June 6 vs. the Lake County Captains.
Notes: The Dragons (21-34) have scored at least six runs in nine of their last 12 games...Dayton is 7-7 over the last 14 games after winning just two of the previous 18...Sizzling hot Dragons outfielder Kurtis Muller went 0 for 5, cooling his batting average to .422 in 11 games.
Midwest League Stories from June 1, 2012
- TinCaps Sweep Friday Doubleheader - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels win slugfest over Wisconsin, 14-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Snappers Break Away Early to Down River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- LumberKings Split Doubleheader with Cougars - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Can't Sweep, Lose 8-6 to Chiefs - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Pound out 16 Hits, Race Past Dragons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Cedar Rapids Outlasts Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall to South Bend 11-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Hold on for 8-6 Friday Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Win Twice, Take Series from Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods take two from Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Split Pair in Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Snap Five Game Skid in 8-7 Win - Lake County Captains
- Former Indians Catcher Duke Sims Added to Cleveland Sports History Night - Lake County Captains
- Bandits Scholars Program Adds Second Scholarship - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday for June 1 - Dayton Dragons
- Espinal Activated - Kane County Cougars
- Walsh Named Cardinals Minor League Player of the Month - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps to Host Major League Baseball Tryout - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Back Home June 6 Through June 11 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.