Reno Cruises to 13-5 Win over TacomaMay 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Reno Aces
Reno trailed by a run in the fourth, but the Aces answered with five runs in the home half of the frame and added three more in the fifth to take a commanding lead they would not relinquish. The win marked Reno's 12th-straight over Tacoma.
In the highest-scoring month in club history, the Aces banged-out 19 hits on the day. In addition to Gillespie's 5-for-5 effort, Jake Elmore added four hits, and Taylor Harbin and Konrad Schmidt chipped-in three. Mike Jacobs hit a solo homer in the fifth, while Randy Ruiz hit a three-run shot in the eighth.
Charles Brewer (2-4) picked-up the victory for Reno, scattering three runs on eight hits over 6.1 innings of work. Out of the Aces bullpen, Zach Kroenke worked 1.2 scoreless frames, and Taylor Sinclair allowed two unearned runs in the ninth.
The loss fell to Rainiers starter Anthony Vasquez (5-3), who surrendered nine runs on 13 hits over 4.1 innings of work.
With the victory, the Aces move to 2-0 in the series and keep their perch atop the Pacific North Division standings. Reno goes into the final day of May one win shy of matching a club record for wins in a single month.
The Aces look to seal a series victory on Saturday night at Aces Ballpark. LHP Patrick Corbin (0-1, 7.20 ERA) gets the nod for Reno, while RHP Jeff Marquez (4-4, 6.52 ERA) counters for the Rainiers. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. PT, and it'll be another Coors Light Thirsty Thursday presented by ESPN 94.5 and Reno News and Review.
Tickets are on-sale now at RenoAces.com, by calling (775) 334-7000 or by visiting the Aces Ballpark Ticket Office.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Bass, RedHawks Stymie Sounds, 7-2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Redbirds Rally by Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Blank Zephyrs 4-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Clipped at Memphis 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Struggles against RedHawks Continue with 7-2 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Hand Takes No-Hitter into Eighth - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Fife Flummoxes Z's in 4-0 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Cruises to 13-5 Win over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roughed Up At Reno, 13-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Banwart Leads Sacramento over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Wednesday's Chasers and I-Cubs Game Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Rained out in Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats Win Second-Straight against Grizzlies, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Add RHP Shane Lindsay - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Oswalt Scheduled to Start for Express Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers and Budweiser of Omaha Team up for Children of Fallen and Disabled Soldiers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Win Rain-Shortened Game, 2-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Padres' Rally Catches Las Vegas in Sixth - Tucson Padres
- Aces Take Opener over Tacoma, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Taken Down By Reno, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hicks' Walk-Off Home Run Lifts River Cats Past Grizzlies, 4-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.