Segovia Homers Twice as Hot Rods RollMay 28, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Bowling Green Hot Rods
Segovia's first home run was a solo shot in the top of the second inning to briefly give the Hot Rods the early lead. However, the TinCaps then scored the next four runs in the game, chasing starter Jake Floethe after just four innings.
After a three-run bottom of the fourth for the TinCaps, the Hot Rods started their hitting barrage by quickly scoring three times in the top of the fifth. Tyler Goeddel and Brett both reached to begin the frame. Hager then lined a triple into the gap in right-centerfield to clear the bases and cut the TinCap deficit to just one. Hager was brought home two batters later on a Jeff Malm sacrifice fly.
With the score tied at four in the top of the sixth, the Hot Rods took the lead for good, scoring five times in the decisive frame. After Segovia doubled to begin the inning, the lead was acquired when Juniel Querecuto laid down a sacrifice bunt down the third base line. Segovia scored when the throw sailed away at first. Four more runs crossed home in the frame on a Brett single, a Hager sacrifice fly, a Drew Vettleson triple, and another Malm sacrifice fly.
Bowling Green's offense still had five runs left in them that were spread out over the seventh and eighth innings. Hager knocked in two more with a two-run double, Vettleson added another sacrifice fly, and Segovia hit his second homer, an eighth-inning, two-run shot. Justin Woodall hurled three scoreless innings of relief to grab his first win as a Hot Rod.
Bringing an end to the season's longest road trip, the Hot Rods will play their tenth consecutive contest away from Bowling Green Ballpark on Tuesday at 6:05 CDT when their four-game series with the Fort Wayne TinCaps (Future Padres) concludes. The Hot Rods will send LHP Felipe Rivero (4-3, 1.94) to the mound, while the TinCaps will counter with RHP Cody Hebner (5-1, 3.28). Tune in to the game on 1340 "The Ticket" and online at 1340wbgn.com. Join Hank Fuerst for the Forever Communications Pregame Show on the Hot Rods Radio Network at 5:45 PM CDT.
Midwest League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Lugnuts continue hit parade in 14-7 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Smash Captains 14-7 - Lake County Captains
- Bandits Blast Kernels 16-6 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Double up TinCaps, 14-7 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview for Games Starting Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Segovia Homers Twice as Hot Rods Roll - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees' Pitching Falters - Burlington Bees
- Big Innings Get River Bandits 16-6 Win over Kernels - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Outlast Cougars in 12 - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Explode on Memorial Day - Clinton LumberKings
- Loons Lose on Memorial Day, 6-2 - Great Lakes Loons
- Hawks Pull Away Late, Oust Loons 6-2 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Fall on Late Ratters Rally Monday Afternoon - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers win third straight in Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 3-1 in Memorial Day Meeting - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Add Former Big 12 Pitcher of the Year - Dayton Dragons
- Dan Reynolds joins the Kernels from Tempe; Brian Diemer to Inland Empire - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Add 2011 1st Round Pick Javier Baez - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.