River Cats Sink CubsMay 15, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
Anthony Rizzo led the quiet Cubs' offense, continuing his hot hitting going 3-for-4, just a double shy of the cycle. The first baseman ripped his second home run in as many days in the first to put the Cubs on the board early. The two-run shot was his thirteenth of the season for the league lead, bringing his RBI total to 37 on the year, also good for first in the league.
The River Cats played small ball to tie the score in the bottom of the frame, scoring two on RBI-groundouts off Wells. Sacramento then strung together five straight singles to break the tie with for a four-run fourth to take a 6-2 lead. The Illinois native surrendered one more run in the fifth before Manny Corpas entered to toss a scoreless sixth.
RHP Mike MacDougal struggled in his I-Cubs debut walking in two runs over his two-thirds of an inning of work. Esmailin Caridad escaped MacDougal's jam, leaving the bases full of River Cats to complete the seventh. Alfredo Amezaga hit his second home run of the season and the series, with a two-run shot in the eighth to bring Iowa within five. Jeff Beliveau then struck out the side in the bottom of the frame.
Iowa returns home Thursday to open a four-game set with the Salt Lake City Bees after a league-wide off day tomorrow. LHP Travis Wood is scheduled to toe the rubber for Iowa to start the series. Thursday's 6:35 p.m. start begins an eight-game home stand against Salt Lake City and Tacoma. Fans can tune in to Iowa Cubs action with Deene Ehlis and Randy Wehofer on AM 940 with the pregame show beginning at 6:45 p.m.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2012
- Sky Sox Grounded by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats Split Series with 9-4 Win over Iowa - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Roughed Up By Round Rock, 11-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Sink Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Noonan, Fresno Come Back to Beat Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Manny Ramirez to Play at the Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Manny Ramirez to Return to Albuquerque - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Blast Off in 7-4 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Manny Ramirez Set to Join Sacramento River Cats - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Take Three of Four from Reno with 9-7 Victory on Wednesday - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Bested by Bees, 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Tops Aces 9-7 in Finale - Reno Aces
- Albuquerque's Brian Cavazos-Galvez Joins Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cubs Sign Former All-Star MacDougal - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 15, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Tacoma Rainiers - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Slide Continues at Tacoma 13-6 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Rock Express, 13-6 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Five-Spot in Ninth Sends Omaha Past Fresno - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cubs Contain River Cats - Iowa Cubs
- I-Cubs Top River Cats, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Sting Isotopes 3-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.