Loons Win Pitchers' DuelMay 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
O'Sullivan walked the leadoff batter in the bottom of the first inning, Chad Wright. After a passed ball by Pratt Maynard, Wright scored on a two-out single by Dean Green.
The game remained scoreless until the top of the seventh. Against reliever Warwick Saupold, Scott Schebler singled to right. Then Jesse Bosnik reached on an error by third baseman Jason King. Pedro Guerrero bunted the runners up 90 feet. Then with two outs, Justin Boudreaux blooped a single into right to bring home the tying and go-ahead runs.
O'Sullivan, making just his second start of the season, had never pitched more than four innings as a professional prior to Wednesday night. He recorded the win (2-2), striking out one and walking one. Loons lefties Mike Thomas and Eric Eadington took care of the final nine outs, allowing just one hit. Eadington was credited with his fifth save of the season.
Saupold (1-1) recorded the loss despite not giving up an earned run. Starter Tom Collier extended his scoreless start streak to three (18 innings) with six shutout frames. During the three-start streak, however, he has just one win.
O'Koyea Dickson and Schebler led the Loons' offensive attack with two hits each. The Loons have now won eight of their last 10.
The Loons (19-14) and Whitecaps (16-17) meet for the second game of a three-game series Thursday morning at 11am at Fifth Third Ballpark. Right-hander Gustavo Gomez (4-1), tied for the league-lead in wins, is scheduled to start for the Loons against West Michigan's lefty Kyle Ryan (1-2, 4.04). The game will be broadcast live on ESPN 100.9-FM and ESPN1009.com.
The Great Lakes Loons are a sixth-year Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and are in the middle of their 5th Anniversary Celebration, which kicked off in August 2011 and will continue throughout the 2012 season. For more information about the Loons, visit Loons.com or call 989-837-BALL.
Midwest League Stories from May 9, 2012
- Timber Rattlers Come Back to Bite River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin pounds out a win over Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Doomed from Start vs. Kernels, 14-2 - Burlington Bees
- Kernels blast Bees, 14-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoilman Breaks Hit Streak Record, Chiefs Lose 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugs ride Walden, end losing streak - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sale Drives Home First Run But Hot Rods Fall in Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Rally to Beat LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Colon Dazzles the Dragons, Captains Defeat Dayton 4-1 - Lake County Captains
- Colon, Lake County Top Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for May 12-15 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Garrido Receives First Promotion of Season - Kane County Cougars
- Final Scheduled High School Game at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Portillo Leads Fort Wayne to 5-2 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hawks Held Hitless into Seventh, Fall 5-2 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Cuevas, Loons Take Game, Series from SB - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Split Marathon Doubleheader with Fort Wayne - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.