Colon Dazzles the Dragons, Captains Defeat Dayton 4-1May 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
The Captains got on the board first in the bottom of the second inning. The bases were loaded with one out and Jordan Casas was at the plate. Casas lifted a fly ball to deep center field. Jordan Smith raced home from third base and scored the first run of the ballgame. Lake County led 1-0.
The Dragons evened the score in the top of the sixth inning. The first two men walked to lead off the inning and Junior Arias laid down a sacrifice bunt to move the runners to second and third with one out. Ryan Wright hit a ground ball to second base and that evened the score at 1-1.
Lake County took the lead in the sixth inning with two outs Robel Garcia grounded a single up the middle to score Alex Monsalve and the Captains led by a score of 2-1. In the late innings the Captains tacked on a couple runs of insurance. In the seventh inning, Todd Hankins walked with one out and Luigi Rodriguez singled on the infield and there was two on and one out. Francisco Lindor also singled to load the bases and then Alex Monsalve hit a sacrifice fly to right field scored Todd Hankins from third base. The next man up Jordan Smith doubled to left field and scored Rodriguez from third with two outs and Lindor went all the way to third. The score was 4-1. That was the final score.
The Dragons sent RHP Daniel Tuttle (1-1) to the mound. Tuttle pitched 1.1 Innings and allowed the first run of the game before home plate umpire Ronnie Teague ejected him for arguing balls and strikes. The Dragons bullpen pitched 6.2 Innings and allowed three runs on six hits. The losing pitcher was James Allen who entered after Tuttle was tossed. Allen falls to (1-1) on the season.
RHP Jeff Johnson worked a scoreless ninth to pick up his third save of the season. The Captains defense didn't commit an error and have just committed three errors in their last eight ballgames.
The Captains will stay at Classic Park on Thursday Night. The Dayton Dragons are in town for a three game series and the Captains will welcome the Great Lakes Loons to Eastlake for a four game set. On Wedsday the Captains will send RHP Cody Anderson (2-1, 2.45) to the mound against LHP Tanner Robles (2-1,2.67). First Pitch is scheduled for 6:30 PM
Thirsty Thursdays, presented by ESPN 850 WKNR, will feature a .25-cent beer Happy Hour for one hour before game time and half-price draft beer and fountain soda until 9 PM. Thursday will also be Date Night, presented by Fisher's Jewelers at Shoregate, which gives couples the opportunity to purchase two tickets to The Officer's Club Suite and two meal vouchers, a $56 value, for only $30. Game time is 6:30 PM.
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 9, 2012
- Timber Rattlers Come Back to Bite River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin pounds out a win over Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Doomed from Start vs. Kernels, 14-2 - Burlington Bees
- Kernels blast Bees, 14-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoilman Breaks Hit Streak Record, Chiefs Lose 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugs ride Walden, end losing streak - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sale Drives Home First Run But Hot Rods Fall in Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Rally to Beat LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Colon Dazzles the Dragons, Captains Defeat Dayton 4-1 - Lake County Captains
- Colon, Lake County Top Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for May 12-15 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Garrido Receives First Promotion of Season - Kane County Cougars
- Final Scheduled High School Game at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Portillo Leads Fort Wayne to 5-2 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hawks Held Hitless into Seventh, Fall 5-2 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Cuevas, Loons Take Game, Series from SB - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Split Marathon Doubleheader with Fort Wayne - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.