D.C. United Academy UpdateApril 23, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) D.C. United
United's U-18 team kicked off the weekend with a 2-1 victory over FC Westchester on Saturday, April 21. Patrick Foss was United's most influential player, converting two penalty kicks to help the Black-and-Red recover from a 0-1 deficit.
The U-18's delivered a solid defensive performance in the following match, defeating Albertson SC by 1-0 on Sunday. Once again, it was defender Patrick Foss who guided United to victory, tallying the game's lone goal with a direct free kick.
"We were very pleased with Sunday's match and the defensive discipline of every player," said United U-18 Head Coach Nolan Sheldon. "The team showed great commitment to both tactical plans on Saturday and Sunday and are deserving of back to back six-point weekends."
United's U-16 team followed the U-18's example and defeated FC Westchester by 2-1 as well. Nigel Robinson scored United's first goal, dribbling from the sideline and striking a low-shot finish. The winning goal was tallied by Michael Seaton, who beat a defender and struck the ball to the back post after being assisted by Lars Eckenrode.
The U-16's wrapped up the weekend with a 2-1 victory over Albertson SC. Nigel Robinson opened the scoring with an assist from Michael Seaton, and Michael Monahan sealed the victory after being assisted by Abdi Yusuf.
"We were a little disappointed that the group conceded goals late in games this weekend, so we will need to sort that out in training," said United U-16 Head Coach Tom Torres. "However, they should be proud that they answered every other challenged thrown at them with quality soccer."
Major League Soccer Stories from April 23, 2012
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 4 at Chivas USA 3 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA Fall 4-3 to Seattle Sounders in Reserves League - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Weekly Update: Rapids Host Chivas USA for Saturday Match - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- San Jose Earthquakes Broaden Partnership with Kaiser Permanente - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United to host 13th Annual Armed Forces & Veteran Appreciation Day - D.C. United
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Look to Rebound on Saturday, Host Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Six Talented Teenage Hopefuls to Represent FC Dallas at National "Final Event" of SueÃ±o MLS 2012 - MLS
- TrophÃ©e des Champions to be Played in United States for First Time - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United's Chris Pontius Wins Player of the Week - D.C. United
- D.C. United Striker Chris Pontius Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Sporting Kansas City Gets a Rest - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Return Home to Host Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Academy to Host High School Boys Coaches Summit this Saturday - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.