D.C. United's Chris Pontius Wins Player of the WeekApril 23, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) D.C. United
After an 82nd minute game-winner on the road last week against the New England Revolution, Pontius started at striker for D.C. United against its fierce Eastern Conference rivals, the New York Red Bulls. Pontius wasted little time and opened up his account in only the eighth minute after stripping Theirry Henry of the ball and hitting a shot from distance past the Red Bulls goalkeeper. The fun didn't stop there, as Maicon Santos first wooed the crowd by beating three Red Bull defenders then found Pontius on the New York goal line ready to blast home his second. The third came 69th minute as the Black-and-Red was already up 3-1. Pontius received the ball about 40 yards from goal and immediately took on multiple Red Bull defenders before sliding his third past an outstretched keeper.
This is Pontius' third Player of the Week selection in three years. He was previously recognized in Week 22 of the 2011 season for role in a 4-0 win against Vancouver at RFK and was a unanimous choice for Week 12 of the 2010 campaign with a two-goal performance in a 3-2 road victory against the Seattle Sounders.
The Major League Soccer Player of the Week is selected each week of the MLS regular season by a panel of journalists from The North American Soccer Reporters (NASR). The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 23, 2012
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 4 at Chivas USA 3 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA Fall 4-3 to Seattle Sounders in Reserves League - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Weekly Update: Rapids Host Chivas USA for Saturday Match - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- San Jose Earthquakes Broaden Partnership with Kaiser Permanente - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United to host 13th Annual Armed Forces & Veteran Appreciation Day - D.C. United
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Look to Rebound on Saturday, Host Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Six Talented Teenage Hopefuls to Represent FC Dallas at National "Final Event" of SueÃ±o MLS 2012 - MLS
- TrophÃ©e des Champions to be Played in United States for First Time - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United's Chris Pontius Wins Player of the Week - D.C. United
- D.C. United Striker Chris Pontius Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Sporting Kansas City Gets a Rest - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Return Home to Host Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Academy to Host High School Boys Coaches Summit this Saturday - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.