Sounds Blanked in Road Trip FinaleApril 12, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Nashville Sounds
With the defeat, Nashville finished its season-opening road trip with a 2-6 record, going 1-3 against both New Orleans and Oklahoma City.
The Sounds' lone hits in the contest were singles off the bats of Erick Almonte, Eric Farris, Caleb Gindl, Paul Phillips, and Logan Schafer. Nashville put a runner into scoring position only three times in the contest.
It was a pitchers' duel for much of the evening as neither team scored until Oklahoma City finally broke through in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Sounds starter Josh Butler held the RedHawks to just two hits through the first six innings. In the seventh, Fernando Martinez led off with a single to left and Mike Hessman followed with a grounder to third that was mishandled by Erick Almonte but the error was officially ruled as an infield hit.
With two on, left-hander Victor Garate took over on the hill. After a sacrifice moved the runners to second and third, pinch-hitter Justin Ruggiano delivered a two-run single to right to break the scoreless deadlock and give Oklahoma City a 2-0 advantage.
Butler (0-2) took a hard-luck loss despite a quality start for the Sounds in his second outing of the year. He allowed two runs on four hits in his six-plus frames of action.
RedHawks left-hander Dallas Keuchel (2-0) was even sharper than Butler, twirling seven scoreless frames while holding the Sounds to four singles and striking out five to pick up the victory.
Mickey Storey tossed a perfect eighth before Jose Valdez worked around a one-out Schafer single in the ninth to close out the shutout and earn his first save of the year.
The Sounds return to Greer Stadium tomorrow night to host their 2012 home opener, a 7:05 p.m. contest against the New Orleans Zephyrs (AAA-Marlins). Right-hander Brian Baker (1-0, 0.00) will toe the rubber for Nashville to face Z's right-hander Tom Koehler (0-1, 0.00). Mayor Karl Dean will throw out the season's ceremonial first pitch and a fireworks show will follow the on-field action.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 12, 2012
- Storm Chasers Beat the Express, 5-4, on Thursday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cousins' Single in 8th Completes Z's Sweep of Memphis - New Orleans Zephyrs
- RedHawks Clinch Series on Thursday, 2-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express Clipped at Omaha 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Blanked in Road Trip Finale - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Unveil New Additions for 2012 Season - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Close out Road Trip with 8-2 Loss to Cubs - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers (Kansas City - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- MiLB President Pat O'Conner to Present Award on Saturday - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Collect 22 Hits in Win Over Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rosales Dooms Padres in Ninth - Tucson Padres
- Salt Lake Tops Aces, 11-3 - Reno Aces
- Rosales Leads Comeback as Cats Top Padres, 3-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.