Reign Pass Franchise Record with 3-2 Shootout Win in IdahoMarch 18, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Ontario Reign
The game began with a good back-and-forth between the two teams, but neither the Reign nor the Steelheads could get the puck into the net in the first period. Ontario's league-leading penalty kill unit kept the pressure on and didn't allow Idaho to convert on either of their two chances. J.F. Berube faced and stopped some tough shots including a Steelheads two-on-one opportunity.
The second period more than made up for the lack of action in the first. Within the first minute of play, three different scrums broke out posting a combined total of 33 penalty minutes. About a minute later, the penalty box continued to fill as each team a received five-minute fighting major. After the dust settled the pressure playing continued on both sides. It wasn't until 16:09 that Chris Cloud put the first tally on the scoreboard. Cloud got the puck into the Steelheads net off a rebound shot by Tommy Lange. Jason Beeman also assisted the goal. With less than one minute left in the period, Tristan King sent a pass up to Geoff Irwin at the left circle who fired a hard shot through the pads of Kuhn to give the Reign a two-goal lead going into the third.
At the 5:26 mark of the third period, Idaho came within just one goal of Ontario with a goal by Jake Hauswirth, assisted by former Reign defender, Steven Tarasuk. Moments later, Matt Case scored the equalizer for the Steelheads putting the pressure on for the rest of the game. Again, neither team could convert on their multiple power-play opportunities. The regulation clock ran out and the game went into a five minute overtime period.
Both teams were scoreless in the extra frame leading the game to end in a shootout. Kyle Kraemer netted a goal for Ontario on the leading shot of the first round. Idaho answered just in time with a goal in the fifth round. Beeman sent his shot past Kuhn's glove side in the eighth round giving the Reign two goals in the shootout. Berube's save ended the game giving Ontario a 3-2 victory, solidifying their number one position in the Pacific Division.
Berube turned aside 36 of 39 total shots, including shootout shots, with the win, and Idaho's Kuhn stopped 38 of 42 total shots taking the loss.
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2012
- Thunder rally with four goals, including two by D'Alvise - Stockton Thunder
- Stockton Beats Utah 4-2: Grizzlies Split in California - Utah Grizzlies
- Express Battle Back to Force OT, Fall to Trenton 5-4 - Chicago Express
- Royals Fall to Florida, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Jackals Clinch Playoff Spot After Edging Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Back-And-Forth Battle Ends 4-3 for Bakersfield - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kalamazoo Scores a Season-High Nine Goals to Rout Toledo 9-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- How Sweep It Is Condors Win Third Straight, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans Win in OT - Trenton Titans
- Success in Face-Off Circle Gives Wheeling a Point in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Warriors Clinch Playoffs With Win - Greenville Road Warriors
- Cyclones Close Road Trip with 5-1 Loss in Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Brutlag Called up to AHL Norfolk - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Royals Sign Defenseman Daniel Spivak - Reading Royals
- Bears Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer to Tryout Agreement - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Sign May - Toledo Walleye
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 18, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Trenton Today - Chicago Express
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Wheeling, Game 66 - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 18 - ECHL
- 7,537 fans pile into Stockton Arena, teams combine for 91 penalty minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win in Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Stay Alive, Beat Vegas 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Outlast Wranglers, Win 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Pass Franchise Record with 3-2 Shootout Win in Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Outlasts Idaho in Entertaining Affair - Idaho Steelheads
- Express Fall to Trenton 4-1 - Chicago Express
- Aces Kings of the Mountain After 5-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Too Little, Too Late - Kalamazoo Wings
- Defending League Champs Claim Mountain Division Crown with 5-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Strike Gold Again on St. Hattrick's Day, 4-3 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.