Saints Reliever Thielbar Picked up by the TwinsAugust 18, 2011 - American Association (AA) St. Paul Saints
The Minnesota Twins have purchased the contract of St. Paul Saints LHP Caleb Thielbar and will head to Single-A Fort Myers.
The 24-year-old Thielbar had an incredible 2011 season for the Saints. In 43 appearances (tied for the team lead with Kyle Foster and tied for the single season franchise mark) and 49.2 innings, Thielbar posted a 3-3 record with a 2.54 ERA. The Randolph, MN native recorded 62 strikeouts while walking just 11 batters. He set the franchise record of 29.2 consecutive scoreless innings during 19 appearances from June 22-August 19.
Thielbar was originally selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 18th round of the 2009 MLB June amateur draft. He spent two seasons in the Brewers organization and reached as high as Single-A before signing with the Saints this past winter.
The Saints have had 101 players either purchased or drafted by Major League organizations, but this is the first time the Minnesota Twins have purchased the contract from the St. Paul Saints.
Thielbar is the third Saint this season to have his contract purchased by a Major League club. Outfielder Brandon Tripp's contract was purchased by the Philadelphia Phillies in July and catcher James Skelton went to the Cincinnati Reds organization in April.
The Saints roster now stands at 21 players, one below league maximum, with 10 pitchers and 11 position players.
American Association Stories from August 18, 2011
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Ka'aihue Homers Twice, Drives in Five as T-Bones Take Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Bats Break out to Salvage Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Reliever Thielbar Picked up by the Twins - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Coles Delivers in Tenth to Give RedHawks 3-2 Victory, Sixth Win in a Row - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints and Ryan Companies to Restore Palace Recreation Center - St. Paul Saints
- Willie Wilson Legends Game Returns in 2011 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kobayashi Plows Through Hamburgers at RailCats Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs and Jim Austin Online to Hold Negro League Tribute - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Last Saints Home Stand Full of Celebrations - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Welcome Denis Savard on Blackhawks Night - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Final Home Series Begins This Weekend - Amarillo Sox
- X'S DROP 5-2 DECISION TO FARGO - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- Two-Out Deluge Sends AirHogs to Third Straight Loss - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Comeback Effort Falls Just Short as Captains Top RailCats 11-9 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Rodriguez's Four RBIs Lead Captains to 11-9 Victory, Series Split in Gary - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.