Road Warriors Stung by 'RaysJanuary 21, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Greenville Road Warriors
A see-saw first period saw Greenville battle with a feisty South Carolina club looking for a road win. Greenville, though, grabbed an early lead and never trailed in the frame. Off of a hard-working cycle by the line of Mark Voakes, Marc-Olivier Vallerand, and Jimmy Kilpatrick, Trevor Glass netted his second goal of the season to give Greenville a 1-0 lead. Voakes sent a soft pass to the slot and Glass hammered it past Jared DeMichiel at the 4:49 mark. South Carolina bounced back to tie it with a goal from Trent Campbell at 7:04, but Voakes answered back just 11 seconds later. The one-timer goal was set up by Vallerand and Kilpatrick off of the ensuing faceoff. Nine minutes and 57 seconds later the Stingrays tied it with a long-range shot from David de Kastrozza. Again, though, the Road Warriors wasted little time in responding with the go-ahead goal. Connor Shields took a pass on the left wing from Blake Parlett and made a great move to beat Josh Godfrey in open ice. Shields then used a deke to the backhand to move DeMichiel out of position and net his 12th goal of the season at 17:40.
With the one-goal lead in the second period the Road Warriors looked to clamp down defensively against the Stingrays. For the most part, the strategy worked, but when Greenville took its first penalty of the night, the Stingrays were there to take advantage. From the point Dustin Stevenson one-timed a shot past the blocker of Nic Riopel to knot the game at three. The goal was Stevenson's second of the season with assists coming from Tommy Goebel and Campbell. The Road Warriors tested DeMichiel with eight shots in the frame, but could not solve the rookie netminder.
South Carolina's Samson Mahbod took a penatly late in the second that left the Road Warriors with 1:05 of power play time to work with at the start of the third. But that man-advantage went by the wayside and it came back to hurt the Road Warriors later in the frame. When Sean Berkstresser took a high-sticking minor with 12:37 gone by in the third it set the stage for the 'Rays' go-ahead score. Josh Godfrey beat Riopel with a slapshot from the left point at the 14:08 mark to give South Carolina a 4-3 lead. Goebel added a redirect goal 55 seconds after Godfrey's score to give South Carolina some insurance through the final minutes of the game.
Riopel turned aside 24 of the 29 shots he faced while the Road Warriors went 0-for-3 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the penalty kill.
Mark your calendars! The Road Warriors will return home from a seven-game road trip on Wednesday, February 9 to take on the South Carolina Stingrays at 7:05 p.m. at the BI-LO Center. The Road Warriors will be celebrating Valentine's Day with special games and promotions throughout the evening. Group seating remains available for the game and you can call 864-674-PUCK to book your group outing and save off the box office price, receive preferred seating based on availability, and enjoy other great benefits.
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2011
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Fall to Wranglers, 5-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Jackals Sunk Late by Walleye, 4-3 - Elmira Jackals
- Royals Slip Down the Stretch in Shootout Loss, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Top Grizzlies, 2-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Shorthanded Grizzlies Fall 2-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Overcome Third Period Deficit to Pull off 4-3 Shootout Win Over Reading - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Cool Devils; Extend Lead in Division - Wheeling Nailers
- Kalamazoo's Special Teams Difference in 4-2 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Fly Past Cyclones, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Sink Road Warriors 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Stung by 'Rays - Greenville Road Warriors
- Walleye Beat Elmira 4-3 on Friday Night - Toledo Walleye
- "Entourage" Star Kevin Connolly to Appear at ECHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings Auctioning off "Think Pink and See Elston" at the Rink Package - Victoria Salmon Kings
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Toledo - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Announce Pregame Transactions - Elmira Jackals
- This Sunday's Reign Game Is Red Cross Jersey Night - Ontario Reign
- Graham Reassigned to Blades from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- Jordan Pearce Headed to Motown - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - January 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL All-Star Classic on TV and Radio in Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Hamilton Recalls Urquhart and Masse - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: Cincinnati Vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Gameday: Battle of the Palmetto State Continues Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Celebrate Pink in the Rink with the Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.